Simrad AP14R - Need a couple questions answered

Hello everyone,

I know there will be someone on this board that can answer these couple questions for me. :)

First let me give you a little background on the task at hand. Bought a Simrad AP14r autopilot this winter and started the install process this weekend in a 1986 Starcraft Offshore 22 ft. Everything is going smoothly so far. The unit fits nicely under the console. The old steering cable came out fine. Except for all the wires that were tywrapped to it. :) The two questions are as follows.

1) How do I determine the correct length for the new cable I have to purchase? The old steering was a Teleflex rack and pinion system. The install manual gives the cable part number but doesn't direct you how to make sure the new cable will be the right length to go back in.

2) It says in the instructions to mount the Fluxgate Compass at the centerline of the boat. The boat is 99% used for trolling for trout and salmon. It seems to me that it would give better feedback to the controller if the compass was mounted towards the bow. Looking for suggestions on where to mount the compass. The unit does have gain control for the corrections. Plus in our boat, mounting the compass where they suggest would be a pain.

Thanks in advance for any help you could provide,

Dave

when I replaced the R&P cable in my Thompson for my Simrad AP14R install, it had the length written on it in inches, right near the end where it mounted to the power steering ram, mine was 240" (20 ft).

and I agree, the worst part of the cable replacement was all of the wires I had wire tied to the old one :$

Tim

when I replaced the R&P cable in my Thompson for my Simrad AP14R install, it had the length written on it in inches, right near the end where it mounted to the power steering ram, mine was 240" (20 ft).

and I agree, the worst part of the cable replacement was all of the wires I had wire tied to the old one :$

Tim

Tim,

I'm working on this project with Dave. Did you need to account for any difference in length between the end of the old rack and the entry point on the new AP? It seems like there could be 4 to 6 inches of difference.

Tim

Tim,

I'm working on this project with Dave. Did you need to account for any difference in length between the end of the old rack and the entry point on the new AP? It seems like there could be 4 to 6 inches of difference.

No, there was plenty of play/spare cable there, it's not really a tight fit because the thickness of the cable kind of necessitates large radius bends.

The place I bought my cable from has since gone out of business. Maybe Hank (L&M) can help with another source or at least let you know what cable to get. I know he has done quiate a few of these installations. It should just be a teleflex/morse rotary helm cable as opposed to the rack and pinion cable.

Tim