Scotty Weight Retrievers

Had to reterminate to get rid of the scuffed cable after the first weekend. Tried traxtech a little better but the pulleys would get hung up occasionally. Setting up for this year a dedicated rigger for the probe

Reese/Cody,

yes, I've been running the coated cable on my scotties for 4 seasons. you do have to reterminate the cable a couple times a season (probably a good idea anyways) because the last couple inches of coating gets buggered up.

what you really have to watch for is that the coated cable seems to be a bit more abrasive than regular steel cable and I noticed the coated cable wore grooves in the soft plastic of the scotty retrievers, which is what caused the retriever to mar up the coating. Really a non issue, just something to watch for over the course of a season. Need the large diameter opening of the scotty retrivers to make sure the auto stop beads don't get hung up.

Tim

Being a novice, I had some trouble with the weight retriever on the coated cable. I have lost a depth raider because I failed to reterminate the line before it gave away. :@

Dawg - we re on the same page. I plan to get a dedicated rigger just for the probe only.

I had aproblem with the coating getting "scuffed off" using the scotty retreivers...I switched to a Pursuit pulley as a retriever on that rigger. That stopped the problem, and I liked the pulley so much I added them to the other riggers...

Joe

Another nice feature of the coated cable used on the ST & DR, not!

I like the tip up feature on my BJ Brutes, the pulley is high quality & hard, not to mention much larger dimension in diameter. I reterminate my cable on the Fishawk yearly just to be safe, but the other terminations are at least 3 years old now, & I will reterminate them before I use them this Spring.

Tim;

My point is that the weight retrievers eat up the coated cable causing unnecessary shortening of the cable to remove the damaged section.

I have cut & pasted what you said, in case you forgot, ("you do have to reterminate the cable a couple times a season (probably a good idea anyways) because the last couple inches of coating gets buggered up)."

Why do you use the weight retreivers instead of the Scotty tip up feature??? This would seem to stop the cable from being damaged by the retrievers.

This does not happen with a Fishawk & my BJ Brutes. I reterminate the probe rigger only yearly, not a couple of times per year as you have to.

Just another reason to geta Fishawk, they are just better!

absolute and utter nonsense. And I've never cared for big jon riggers either. Love the rod holder and have 6 of em on ther boat, but don't like the riggers.

I don't care what big jon claims, I hate and distrust the flexible booms and unless they've changed em on more recent models, I hate the crappy rocker switches they use.

I probably don't have to reterminate a couple times a year, I just do because I'm paranoid about things like that. It doesn't affect the cable below, just scrapes off a couple inches of coating, which has no effect on the DR performance (which is flawless by the way)

Tim

Tim;

You have to stop living in fear of failing downrigger booms, crappy rocker switches, retermination of suspected faulty rigger cable terminations, etc (you know the stuff you have not come clean with us about yet).

Lighten up, you will live longer!

Go CUSE!!!!

I use the Scotty retriever on one of my Cannon's because it was the only brand they had at Gander.

I don't know if I fish as much as you guys but my wife would beg to differ, that being said, I haven't noticed the wear and tear on the coated cable as stated above. I use a 15 lb Shark and a Black's release so I can remove the probe, this is the corner rigger and I usually extend the boom around 3'. When I pull the weight in though, I am really careful bringing it to the boat, yet I am confident in my terminations.

A question about the dedicated probe rigger idea? Does this mean you are using a rigger for the probe and not putting a rod and spoon or attractor down there?

I have been fishing a three rigger spread for the last several years. I run a Subtroll on the forth rigger, and drop it when needed, usually first thing in the morning, or when things slow down. I run 6' Cannon mag 15's for fishing and a mag 10 for the probe.I use cannon retrievers and have had "0" problems with the coated cable. I fish often with my buddy and his Scotty's, they seem O.K.

the retreivers are electric fence insulaters I think, should be available at Tractor Central. I like my short stops and counters better though. It is all what you are used to. The Scotty retrievers seem to groove up easier than most.