Fishing Irondiquoit bay

Before the next Genesee Charter Club meeting in early april i was thinking about sliping the kayak in and going for a few hours of bass fishing the docks and/or stumps on the west side of the bay near the game club. Will the bass be there pre spawn yet or should i wait until may? Also, what kind of lures are used down there and would i be fishing for large or smallmouth bass? Anyone familiar with the area or would be interested and goin yak fishing w/ me?

I would think that early April might be just that, early...May would be much better and the bay is loaded with good structure, weed lines, and "bassy" lookin' waters and you'll have no problem finding them...

There are very few smallmouths in the bay, mostly largemouths and I was always partial to plastics like senkos, just because I get to let'em chew on it a second before I try to launch them out of the water with the hook set...

I am curious, is that early season catch and release bass just Lake Erie and the Finger Lakes??? I admit to fishing bass in Iron. Bay before the 3rd Saturday in June but I never gave it much thought...

Typically the bass aren't up on their shallow water pre-spawn areas till the water hits 50 degrees. The eastern bay at the north end of I bay can get very good for LM in the Spring. You may be a little pre-mature, but at least your out! Chances are you might encounter a battle or two with a nice Brown trout!