TUFF TROLLING CONDITIONS

Alright call me a republican on this one: based upon the image:

(A) In the picture we have power that is not coal based (no mercury, eh?):

(B) The space used in the lake(s) is rather minimal in relation to the lake's total

surface area;

© Fish and bait like structure and current breaks, eh?;

(D) If you troll yer rig into the turbine post you are: (1) not paying attention; (2)

drunk; or (3) rather sight impaired.

So long as I can troll on by or stay close (think gulf of mexico oil rigs) I am happy coal fired power plants have competition. BTW the pacific salmon are as unnatural in Lake Ontario as a wind turbine.

Bash me, I know there are good reasons to support no intrusion whatsoever but we all use electricity.

Jarrett

and what exactly makes you think it's the republicans pushing this nonsense? It is the eco-nazi, greenie, libtards that are forcing the installation of these stupid, shortsighted and extremely inefficient monstrosities on us so that the power generated can all be sent downstate.

Let em put those stupid things in Long Island Sound if downstate wants the energy so darn badly.

Tim

and what exactly makes you think it's the republicans pushing this nonsense? It is the eco-nazi, greenie, libtards that are forcing the installation of these stupid, shortsighted and extremely inefficient monstrosities on us so that the power generated can all be sent downstate.

Let em put those stupid things in Long Island Sound if downstate wants the energy so darn badly.

Tim

Couldnt have said it better

These things are toppling over in the Fenner wind farm, it's been at least three months, & the dummies still don't know why one fell over. This is without the pounding from the waves!

Besides this issue, they could hamper the cormorants! :rofl:

Along with incredible restrictions in & around the areas of the power generators, What about the reduction on Home values along the shore lines of the lake. I personally would not spend a premium for a water front property that all you will see is windmills for miles. What I don't understand is if these generators are so great, then why are the wind generators placed near Elmira, N.Y not generaly in operation. I would also assume the cost to maintain these out in the lake would be astronomical. Green is great, but most of these projects turn out to be unsucsessful & costly. We as Sportsmen, Fishermen & Captains need to voice our opinions & hopefully we can be heard! A project like this is not temporary & like any other development there is always a negative impact to the enviroment.

Capt. Randy Orbach / Hit or Miss Charters

Legacy I agree with the nuclear option as being WAY better than wind. I can also see why the turbines should be located closer to the ultimate consumer of electricity, i.e. downstate. That would tick me off too.

Moderators who are personally attacking me as ignorant and desiring of a turbine in my front yard...that's weird. I didn't start this post or attack anyone. I expected other opinions but geez you guys aren't you the ones supposed to keep people from personally attacking other members? :(

I would like a small turbine in my yard to generate my home's electricity. If only I could sell back to the grid in Ohio.

We're facing the same proposed wind turbine projects down here on Erie. I guess one big difference is that most of the power would be consumed locally.

Sorry to tee off any republicans. I just meant that I was being "pro energy". Nothing more. I'm and independent if that makes any difference.

ReelPower-

I dont think we are trying to attack you, just pointing out that we have had a Thread on this issue for awhile now and its a big issue for us here in NY.

It is very sad that any state would allow these in the Great Lakes, but do a little research and I am sure you would change your tune in how you feel. I am in the Environmental engineering field myself, Air Quality to be exact so I deal with air emissions on a daily basis. CO, NOx, SO2, particulate, all the above. I see nothing green about a Wind turbine. The process in which they will build these is going to do some serious damage to the lake bed, stir up all the ugly ducklings from the past that have silted over by mother nature. There are communitys that get there water from the lake. I wonder if they will still be able to after construction. There are 1200 gal of oil in each one, what happens when it leaks? It seems it is unproven technology in an open water situation.

There are to many unanswered questions that make this project no sense at all.... Oh and by the way wind power will cost you more money in your monthly bill. Savings at what cost and who's math???

Capt. Brian Garrett

Tall Tails Charters

Its nothing personal, just hit many of the guys nerves when you link it to Republicans. Tim is right, it is a bogus cash grab hiding behind the "Green energy" shield. That comes from nowhere else but liberal democrats. You know, the ones that fly around in private jets to get a cup of coffee, and use thousands in energy a month in their mansions. They want YOU to change. I completely agree with Tim, it is a big fat lie, and a political tool. I have been around this lake my entire life, and in the charter business for 26yrs. The vast majority of good things that went on were Republican, and todays democrats are very anti hunting and fishing.

If you won't go back into the Windmill threads here, keep a few things in mind: 1) no matter how well they attract fish, you will not be allowed ANYWHERE near them 2) Once they are here, they are here for good. There will never be any money allocated to disassemble them. 3) It is just plain wrong to put them in ANY of the GREAT Lakes. 4) They can only lead to less use of the fishery, which puts it in jeopardy. People want to escape to scenic places, not dodge eyesores.

Its nothing personal, just hit many of the guys nerves when you link it to Republicans. Tim is right, it is a bogus cash grab hiding behind the "Green energy" shield. That comes from nowhere else but liberal democrats. You know, the ones that fly around in private jets to get a cup of coffee, and use thousands in energy a month in their mansions. They want YOU to change. I completely agree with Tim, it is a big fat lie, and a political tool. I have been around this lake my entire life, and in the charter business for 26yrs. The vast majority of good things that went on were Republican, and todays democrats are very anti hunting and fishing.

If you won't go back into the Windmill threads here, keep a few things in mind: 1) no matter how well they attract fish, you will not be allowed ANYWHERE near them 2) Once they are here, they are here for good. There will never be any money allocated to disassemble them. 3) It is just plain wrong to put them in ANY of the GREAT Lakes. 4) They can only lead to less use of the fishery, which puts it in jeopardy. People want to escape to scenic places, not dodge eyesores.

COULD NOT OF SAID IT BETER. This needs too be fought like the civil War and can not be lost ,think of the stakes if we do lose , THE GREAT LAKES AS WE KNOW THEM.

Your right MOTOMAN, this fight has been like a civil war. Problem is we lost it in 1992 when then governor Mario Cuomo directed the New York Power Authority to void the contract with Hydro-Quebec at the urging of NY power companies (RG&E, NiMo, ConEd, etc.).

In 1987 Hydro-Quebec started producing hydro-electric power at their James Bay Project and suppling NYC and Long Island with electric power. Power companies in NY went into meltdown because James Bay could produce 16000 megawatt which is 2X Niagara Falls and 8X Hoover Dam (NYC max. demand today is only 12,000 MW). This was at a cheaper price than NY power companies could produce. So the power companies got togeather and cried to Governor Cuomo this was a foreign country getting U.S. dollars and robbing NY jobs. So, poof, no more contract with Hydro-Quebec.

The James Bay II project that would have an output of 30,000 MW was put on hold in 1994 due to the loss of the NY contract. Currently James Bay is not even operating at their reduced capacity.

Today the wind turbine companies are throwing money at the local, state and federal politicians blinding them from seeing the environmential impact on Lake O and how easy it would be to get clean, cheap hydro-electric from Canada. Of course, this would take the governor or legislator to do what is best for the people of New York.

Capt'n Vince I see your points. I did go through the threads, all 15 pages. I still believe in wise use of natural resources for energy production but the scale of the Mexico bay proposal is WAY out of line.

Here on Erie the canucks have been drilling for and producing natural gas in the big pond for decades. It is a vast resevoir. Their rigs are spread out. Ohio refuses to allow drilling on Lake Erie despite the track record of safety and the huge supply. I'm not opposed to a few drilling rigs, or a few turbines. However, blocking access to thousands of acres for a mega-farm is not a good plan, I agree.

Good luck fighting the private interests pulling the levers behind the scenes. I do not want the giant scale of the proposal to go forward, either.

Good luck in the first King of the Lake tourney to all the Captains on this thread. I'll be up to Dalhouise after the wakes settle down.

The problem is that most of the guys in office that are pushing this frankly dont care what you and me have to say :( I have a feeling that somewhere down the line money is going to find its way into some politicians pocket :no: To them its not about protecting the fishery, its about money. "go green" is a noble idea but the line needs to be drawn. Does a few hundred wind turbines that promise cleaner energy make right the numerous bad effects? I think not

Your right MOTOMAN, this fight has been like a civil war. Problem is we lost it in 1992 when then governor Mario Cuomo directed the New York Power Authority to void the contract with Hydro-Quebec at the urging of NY power companies (RG&E, NiMo, ConEd, etc.).

In 1987 Hydro-Quebec started producing hydro-electric power at their James Bay Project and suppling NYC and Long Island with electric power. Power companies in NY went into meltdown because James Bay could produce 16000 megawatt which is 2X Niagara Falls and 8X Hoover Dam (NYC max. demand today is only 12,000 MW). This was at a cheaper price than NY power companies could produce. So the power companies got togeather and cried to Governor Cuomo this was a foreign country getting U.S. dollars and robbing NY jobs. So, poof, no more contract with Hydro-Quebec.

The James Bay II project that would have an output of 30,000 MW was put on hold in 1994 due to the loss of the NY contract. Currently James Bay is not even operating at their reduced capacity.

Today the wind turbine companies are throwing money at the local, state and federal politicians blinding them from seeing the environmential impact on Lake O and how easy it would be to get clean, cheap hydro-electric from Canada. Of course, this would take the governor or legislator to do what is best for the people of New York.

I find this very interesting. Having grown up in Northern Quebec, this all happenned in my backyard but I didn't know about the NY deal.

One thing is for sure, we have up there in James Bay very good wind farming potential, transport line infrastructure is already built and available, and the only living things who'd be staring at those windmills are thousands of... caribou. Seriously though, who would argue against windmills when those gigantic dams are an even larger imprint on the landscape. Hell, they could even build their windmills on the reservoirs.

But as was the case with NY, this is all highly political, so no such project is anywhere near happening.

BTW, the LG2 reservoir up in northern Quebec is an interior sea with esceptionnal fishing potential of, among things pretty impressive pike, walleye and lake trout. :beer: