Wire for divers

Been looking for wire for my diver rods. McMaster carr seems to have some good prices. I'm looking for ideas on what sizes people use. They have:

25 lb with a .012" dia

40 lb test with a .015 dia

55 lb test with a .018 dia

80 lb test with a .021 dia

I'm spooling a couple of Daiwa sealine 47lc's. Should I use backing or all wire. Thanks for any suggestions.

Rick

30lb here. No backing, just spool 1000' on the Daiwa 47. Wrap electrical tape around the spool before the wire to prevent it from slipping on the spool. Spool the wire on very tight!

Shawn

I use #30 wire on a diawa 47. The first time I went w/o backing as I was told it would fill the spool. It didn't quite fill up like I'd hoped so the next time I just used some old #8 mono I had laying around. I didn't tie it together, I just used the mono to take up about 1/8" or slightly less of the spool, then 1000' of wire. It fits perfectly and I assume I get a more accurate reading on the line counter. Thats just what works for me. You'll find out what works for you as well. It's just try and try again sometimes even with the best advice. Jeremy

• 4 weeks later...

You will need backing on a Convector 30 to fill the spool to that 1/8 mark. I like to fill my reels to that mark so I use backing. Problem being it's been so long since I put wire on an Okuma I don't remeber how much you'll need. Come to think about it I don't even remeber if it was 30 lb or 20 lb wire I put on there.

You can always put your wire on one reel, then the backing to fill her up, then transfere the whole thing from one reel to another. Keep track of how much backing goes onto the 2nd reel before you hit the wire and you'll be good to go for any future reels you do.

Glen

Okuma catalina 25 size holds 1000' with no backing nicely. Don't know if the still make them though, I think they changed the

Catalina line for 2010. You will like the oversize handle better than the Daiwas. I have fished alot with both.

I found a reel fill calculator on the net (.xls sheet) and it worked perfectly. On a convector 30D with Stren 30lbs. back (100yrds) with Mason 7 strand (333yrds) filled it just below the lip. Pretty slick way to do it.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Justin,

most of us just load 1000' of wire in the reel and be done with it, no backing. 1000' of 30 lb wire perfectly fills up a 47 size reel.

Tony,

advantages: more depth due to thin diameter and no stretch; wire gives off a harmonic vibration when going through the water that a lot of us feels attracts fish (I know my wire divers always get a lot more bites than the power pro divers and the power pro will get to about the same depths, so there may be something to it); with no stretch, wire is a lot of fun to fight fish on, you feel every head shake; with no stretch, you can have 300+' of wire out and get down 80+ feet, yet you can still trip the diver with flick of the wrist, not possible with the stretch of mono.

disadvantages: eventually you may have to replace the tip guide on the diver rod with a twilli tip if the wire wears a groove in the stock tip; nothing else that I can think of.

Tim