Anyone else walleye fishin'?

I've been pounding the Susky down here near Binghamton for the past month or so and doing very well on the walleyes. Getting limits of nice eater size fish almost every outing, with lots of bigger ones going back in to breed. I did have to keep a big girl a few weeks back that got stuck too deep and wasn't going to make it. She weighed in at 7.4 on the scale at home. What a great fill in for when the big boat gets put away for the winter! Sure hope the ice stays away for a while yet! Hope to be out there tomorrow and Sunday... Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

• 4 weeks later...

Nice job..and great pics! I'm still pounding the Susky here and doing quite well on them. It's gone from "fast and furious" to "having to work for them", but I certainly won't complain! Just being able to launch the boat on New Years Day is quite a treat! I can take this weather for a few more months..thank you! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Nice job..and great pics! I'm still pounding the Susky here and doing quite well on them. It's gone from "fast and furious" to "having to work for them", but I certainly won't complain! Just being able to launch the boat on New Years Day is quite a treat! I can take this weather for a few more months..thank you! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Thanks and I see you're from my HOMETOWN of Endwell NY. I grew up in Endwell up on Struble Rd on Robinson Hill and lived there until about 1992. My family all still lives there and I grew up fishing Whitney Point and Cayuga and sometimes the susky but we always did great on the walleyes at Whitney, it's just tougher now to get keepers with the 18" size limit.

Slipbob..Small world..I live on the other corner of Struble Rd, but I think I built just after you left town! If you're visiting town and see my garage doors open and a black truck in the drive.. stop for a cold one. Fellow fishermen are always welcome! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Slipbob..Small world..I live on the other corner of Struble Rd, but I think I built just after you left town! If you're visiting town and see my garage doors open and a black truck in the drive.. stop for a cold one. Fellow fishermen are always welcome! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

You must be the guy my parent's always say has a boat in his driveway on the Farm to Market end of the road where the newer houses are. That's too funny because I was just talking to my Mom today and she was telling me about the guy down the road who's always taking his boat out to go fishing and he had a bigger boat in his yard all year and now he has a smaller boat. Very, very small world! As a kid I spent many a day fishing Patterson pond behind your house catching bass and sunnies in the 70's and early 80's and I would make my mom drop me off down there and pick me up so I could fish all the time because it was too much of a hill to ride my bike back home :lol:

Yep.. That would probably be me! I haven't seen too many other boats heading up Struble lately besides mine! The big one's put away for the winter.. the little one stays rigged, ready and in the garage till the river freezes over. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Slipbob-where are the night eyes coming from? I have never had any luck at night,anywhere-what are you using? Depth? I read all about night guys and every night I go out I come up empty...

Thanks for any info to break the zero.......

Walteye

Slipbob-where are the night eyes coming from? I have never had any luck at night,anywhere-what are you using? Depth? I read all about night guys and every night I go out I come up empty...

Thanks for any info to break the zero.......

Walteye

I'm fishing a couple different lakes up here near Albany NY! They bite best at night because the water is extremely clear and fishing during the day just gets you smallmouth bass and pike which I don't care to catch. At night I do best trolling in very shallow water of about 6 to 10ft deep and always near weeds, rocks or stumps depending on the lake. Wherever the baitfish can hide is where the walleyes come to hunt them at night. My primary method of attack at night is to simply longline stickbaits on 14lb Fireline and many sticks will work. I like the old floating #13 Husky Jerks(no rattle) and Floating 5" Super Rogues. Color makes a HUGE difference at night and you just have to know your lake and keep trying different colors until you find what they want that particular night. It varies based on cloud cover, moonlight and so on but I have it dialed in from fishing the same water almost every night. For rods and reels I use Shimano Tekota's Linecounters paired with Shimano Talora fast action 8ft medium rigger rods which work great with braid and don't overpower the walleyes. I was out again Friday night after work in the pouring rain and we did great again. Boated 6 good ones in 2 hours of trolling and went last night and did 4 more. It will be over real soon if we get any kind of ice which could happen this week because temps are going down into the teens tomorrow night and Wednesday night and hopefully we can do some icefishing this winter.