Heading out to sandy Creek tonight...any suggestions?

Dad and I are going to spend the evening off sandy creek. I took a good look at the fishing reports and none really apply to the Hamlin area.

Anyone have any timely advice on sandy creek conditions? temps? depths to start at? Lures?

I am assumming that most of the in close 10-15 FOW fishing for browns is pretty much over, especially during the daylight hours.

We have had miserable luck this spring so far, no time to get out there much and bad windy conditions when we have had time.

I just got off the phone with a guy who has been fishing out of Sandy the past few days, and I hear that there are some chromers up high in the water column out over 100-150 FOW. Might be worth a shot.

I just got off the phone with a guy who has been fishing out of Sandy the past few days, and I hear that there are some chromers up high in the water column out over 100-150 FOW. Might be worth a shot. Definitely sounds spotty at best though.

Thanks for the info and the PM's. I think were going to break out the seth green rigs and cover the top 60' of water, starting at about 70 FOW or so. It's a nice way to get 5 spoons per rod in the water when the fish aren't really set up at a particular depth, we'll probably run two riggers to target any hooks we see.....if we mark any fish.

Still....it is better than mowing the lawn.

I went out this morning not one fish, worked to the east started a t 6am in 7 fow then after hour or so, went off light house point worked my way out to 200fow and back to 60 fow before marking any fish worth targetting. Had to be back at the dock by 11:30 so only able to make a few passes over the fish. Most were dow 25-35 in 60 to 65fow. The water was very clear and calm. It was a great day of fishin but not so good for catchin. Ill probly go out thurs night if the wheather permits. :)

We just got back in from an evening of trolling. The weather and the scenery was beautiful today!!!

Not many boats out there, the coast guard came by to pay us a quick visit but that's about it.

We found fish once we got to 60-70 FOW and all the way out to 120 FOW or so, all were about 10-15 down and all were singles, no groups at all. Very few fish compared to most trips there. we trolled west to east at about 2.2-2.4 gps speed.

We managed to get 5 good hits and lost three rainbows at or near the boat, all on NK spoons, watermelon, a habenero and a glow frog, landed two rainbows off of a j-7 silver/ black rapala and a plain silver NK with a diag green tape on it. Kept the larger one- 9lb 6oz. Dad fired up the smoker tonight!!! All hits were from lures at 15' down, a couple on the riggers, the rest on the seth green rig's top spoons.

Took a quick tour up the creek to check out Bandit's new Trophy. NICE Boat!!!! I see you got to additional riggers since last weekend. dad wants one!!!!

all in all a nice night to be on the water.

Thnaks for the kind words and help everyone.

Pound for pound I believe that rainbows/steelhead are the best fighting fish out there. They spend more time out of the water than in it once you hook them.

They are pretty tasty too.....yum.

The 9 pounder came off a seth green rig, he managed to wrap more than a few spoons around the main line before we could bring him to the net. His initial run took over 100 feet of line before we could turn him.

It was a great evening to spend time with dad. He is getting shuouder surgery next week and we will be without a captain for 6-8 weeks...I am glad that his last night of fishing was a successful one.