Cannon Down Speed & Temp

Cons:

.. Connection to the cable is kind of funky

... sometimes the unit will drop out and you need to put a wet towel on the antenna (although know one knows why but it works)

Pros:... (In my experience)

.....Battery lasts forever (9 volt)

....Battery remaining voltage is on the screen

....Gives Depth on the screen

....Great customer service (The speed portion quit working in my unit and the fixed it free without receipt or question)

the x4 is a fish hawk, not cannon.

john :(

I knew that.....just stating that th x4 costs double of what I'm looking at. Come on....nobody has anymore info about the cannon? I need to make a decision soon.....wil it do the job for me?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Do yourself & your pocket book a favor in the long run & buy a Depth Raider or Moor depending on your preference of display. Not to speak of the problems with the older style cannons.

I have the cannon. Can't compare it to anything because it's the only one I have owned. My gripe is sometimes past 100 feet It drops the signal and I need the wet towel trick. Other than that I havn't had an issue.

Hey I know you!!!

Cannon has a new unit on the market, might have a problem getting replacment probes for the older one. I just picked up a Moore unit for my rig, analog and parts and service can be had in Buffalo.

Hey Kev, how are ya?...see what I've gone and gotten into? Another species to target :o Got hooked last fall after hearing that drag rippin on those kings man. God bless my wife for putting up with my fishin' habits!

Thanks for the help guys....the Moor is probably what I'll save up for.

dont know about the new models.

, but 2 years ago replacement probs cost 400 (four) dollars. the safety (LOL) harness

was a joke. my friend had his for about three hours. 2/.3 ft waves but no reason

to break off and be gone. dont believe they were very true (depth etc) anyway, but

just my opinion.

john :(

I had a Cannon SNT for 3 years and lost the probe due to a break off. I t was a good unit and had nice features. The battery life was mediocore at best. I usually had to change the battery once a month. That was the only draw back I had. After losing the probe I searched locally and the internet, then called cannon. Replacement probes are $300 if and where you can find them. Cannon has none. I ended up scrapping the head unit and going with a Depth Raider. Very pleased with it and it is attached with a scotty type termination instead of the crimp tubes. The SubTrolls are nice too, but they only had the Depth Raiders in stock when I needed a SNT. Oh yeah battery lasts all season. If I can help further shoot me a PM

The advantage to the Cannon unit is it gives you the depth. If you can't see you downrigger ball on you FF screen this is a big plus. Since I only fish 20 days a year the battery life was not an issue for me. I did change the antennae from the spring type to a Scotty thimble unit. It works better and you can disconect the cable easier from the rigger. I also changed it to a Stainless Steel "T" bar attachment. This makes the safety cable not needed. I bought the new model SnT and the first thing I did was to change it to the "T" bar and Scotty antennae. I didn't have any issues with the Cannon for the four years I used it.

High Bidder

hey Paul ....I see Cannon came out with a new version of the Speed & Temp .....I'm thinking of getting one for my smaller boat ....The new version was in The Great Lakes Angler magazine .....most likely the old Ford beats a Chevy debate....

Thanks ShutUpNFish! I work hard at it and try to keep it informative for you guys. All of my fishing reports are there each year too. I've learned a lot from this forum over the years and if I can give something back through my trials and tribulations with equipment and tackle, etc., then I feel like I've begun to pay back all the great people that have helped me over the years.