What are you people talking about?

A&M

I like koolaid. Which flavor is my favorite? I'm not sure.... if I can't see the color.....I always try to keep my eyes open and drink it slow-l-y. It is said that 20% of Americans are far left liberals...given the laws of probabilities I would say that about 5 % of far left liberals live in the upstate section of NYS...of which comprises the largest majority of members here. However, most of us here on this forum would not consider themselves far right conservatives either. Most of us like to keep our eyes and ears open any where in the country. That way we can open our mouths and know what we are talking about when presented with solid facts. We have been blessed with many here who have knowledge of fact. Any opinion is welcome, but a well informed one is the most valuable, backed with factual findings and consistent successes or failures of controversial subjects. The fact regarding the subject of the "story" is that it is not about lead in our tackle, or wind generators, or nuclear power plants, tree huggers, green initiatives and so on. It is about voices falling on dead ears, particularly in our hired representatives in the highest offices of government. Arrogance of a few who contend they know best at all cost in rejection of the masses. This has been the problem and having a vote to "change" it is what the story is recommending. If it is found that the masses are complacent and accept the status quo, then there will be no real point in worrying about the environment at all, because it will be in the hands of the few who think they know it all for the many.

Mark

Dear Dukhnter 8,

I would not believe THAT in a heart beat (POSITIVE ON DEER HUNTING!). The NRA stated two years ago that the Aud. Society spent 90+ MILLION DOLLARS in one year for efforts on GUN CONTROL and anti-hunting legislation in the United States. They (AS)personally got the NYS DEC to use HUNTING (METHODS) as the LAST approved OPTION in Cormorant Control. In order to control corm's, you must apply for a speciaL PERMIT!! .......I just ran across the local President of The local Audobon Society here in SW Florida, while we were on the Ding Darling FW Refuge, HE AND HIS WIFE tried to tell me that the Cormorants only eat little fish etc. My wife had to keep us apart otherwise I was about to lose my TEMPER!! And,yes the former coach of the Buffalo Bills (Mr Levy) donated One million dollars to PETA a few years ago. Read something other then the canned media stuff and then cross check for the truth. The AS is another organization that has well healed contributors and uses their power for their interests.

Jet Boat Bill in SW Florida, air temp 68F, sea water temp 61 F. COLD!!!

i have been involved with fishing in one form or another for 45+ yrs. i know for a fact the susquehanna river is by far the cleanest it has ever been, floro-carbon to catch walleyes was never even dreamed of 15 years ago, now it is almost a must have because of water clarity.the same is true for the big lake. some blame the zebra but i beleive it's a combination of both, the mussels and enviromental awareness. i have a hard time beleiving that the sportfishing industry will be afected by govt. regulations, there is just too much money at stake. we all know that whether your a rep. or a dem. in office it's all about the money!! they raised the out-of-state lience to 70.00 and i don't know of anyone refussing to pay it. let the govt. do as they please till Nov. then it's time to clean the house and start again. the one term wonder that is all for change WILL be gone in 2012 and HIS changes can and will be repealled.most comments are around common sense so take your own words and use them to get this county back in the hands of the little people where it belongs. vote with your head NOT your party!! may GOD place the people back in control the way our founding fathers intended it to be. GOD bless rollie

For the past two falls I filmed youth hunts that were sponsored by the Wayne County Federation of Sportsmen, the DEC and yes, the Audubon Society. Two years ago it was a pheasant hunt and this past fall they hunted pheasants and ducks. I have on video a Audubon representative talking about the importance of hunters being to the conservation of game and non-game species. After I get permission I will make a short cut of the film and post a link. It was a great experience for all involved and I do think the Audubon Society is coming around. (even though I filmed over twenty shots at pheasants, I can honestly say no pheasants were injured during the filming, but there were a lot of close misses...A lot of kids did shoot pheasants it was just the group I was with didn't.)

• 2 weeks later...
As someone who has fished all my life, I joined the LOU community in hopes of finding information, advice and friendships based on a common interest. Sadly, I seem to have found more ignorance, political partisanship, religious zealotry and whacked out paranoia than I ever imagined I would find on a "fishing" forum.

Yes, I'm an environmentalist and likely far more "left" than many on this board and it's become so uncomfortable to read many of the posts here that I probably won't bother any more. After this post, most of you will likely be happy about that too.

I just read the post "Disturbing Article" and the comments after it left me shaking my head. I'm still not sure what was so disturbing when it seemed that the worst thing that could be said was that recreational fishing and related jobs aren't receiving any priority in the Obama administration or that NOAA hasn't shown any overt dislike of recreational angling...but is instead "indifferent". The rest of the article is filled with paranoid references to big bad government ending bear hunting in Ontario, banning led in tackle and groups citing "overfishing" that are supposed to make us afraid. Be afraid, be very afraid, seems to be the mantra. Seems "fear" is a much used commodity these days.

What is so objectionable to you about protecting the environment? I would have thought people who fish would also be members of the Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth, WWF (...OK...maybe not PETA!) Who more than all of us wants to protect our environment?

In the interest of some balance (in case any of you are even remotely open minded) you might find this article on the World Fishing Network website enlightening: Great Lakes Restoration Initiative Action Plan Unveiled http://www.wfn.tv/gogreen/blog.php?blog=402650

I can only imagine the horror and disbelief of some of you when you read: "President Barack Obama has committed to making Great Lakes restoration a national priority. In February 2009, President Obama proposed $475 million for a Great Lakes Restoration Initiative, the most significant investment in the Great Lakes in two decades." It also goes on to recognize that the lakes "support a multi-billion dollar economy based on fishing, boating and recreational activities." I for one am cheering that we finally have an administration that gets it!

I applaud anyone who speaks up to protect fishing and angling rights, but please...stop the the knee jerk political condemnations. These aren't left or right issues and people who didn't vote like you can still value the earth we live on and want to protect it for recreation and enjoyment.

I've also seen the posts here which fearmonger wind turbines in the lake and actually recommend nuclear power as an alternative. This is misguided at best. I lived in an environment polluted by the tailings of Uranium mining affecting the North Channel of Lake Huron. I'm sure not many of you know this side of the nuclear option...the myth of "clean nuclear power". You're so worried about wind turbines falling over or disturbing fish habitat....how will you react if there's ever a spill of radioactive effluent into Lake Ontario that leaves the lake contaminated for hundreds if not thousands of years? It only has to happen once. Or...maybe just small accumulations of radioactivity over our lifetime that someday catches up to us.

Anyway...I'm sure I'm not going to change any minds here. You don't like Democrats; you don't like the lunatic left wing; you don't like tree huggers; you don't like wind energy supporters. I'm sure that being a fellow fisher isn't enough to give my thoughts any credence.

But...I needed to say these things...and now I will leave you to your fear and tirades! Good luck.

Mikell

Oh an environmentalist,than your saying that we should close our country to further im-migration from the 3rd world planet eaters to save OUR natural resources ??? Thought not,now run along & play with your TOADS & watch out not to get warts!!! lol :P