Dipsys

We don't run them. No real reason why we don't. My guess is we probably wont until someone can prove to me it helps with lost fish. We run 25lb McCoy Mean Green for leaders, and can honestly say we have not cracked off a leader. Our drags are also tight while we await Mr. Salmons attack on our presentation.

When I ran heavier, stiffer diver rods I ran snubbers---and they helped. Now I run Eagle Claw "French Fry" rods which are very soft and forgiving and don't need them. In fact, a snubber with a soft diver rod is more of a detriment than a help. More important than a snubber with ANY diver setup is a good reel with a smooth drag. A competent angler on the other end of it helps a lot too. ;)

Years ago on a bargain table I bought 2 snubbers. they were 1/8 maybe more w/ a swivel on one end & a snap on the other.Very thin& the color of surg. tube. they had a piece of dacron inside the tube which only made them stretch so far. They worked great. were just enough to absorb the shock but they couldn't break because of the dacron center. Haven't seen them since.

This is a little off topic but i was wondering abourt running dipsys off a kayak. I dont have the right rod and am afraid of the bend and if it will snap my rods. Why couldnt i point the rod directly backwards instead of perpendicular to the line to reduce rod bend? Also, how much drag do these realy create?

jk, I wouldn't recommend dipsies for kayak fishing, they need a constant tension to be an effective presentation and if you stop or slow they sink. There are plenty of other ways to get lures deeper that are simpler to operate in the limited amount of space you have to work in. You are already as stealthy as you can get in a kayak so take advantage of that in your set. The main reason dipsies are effective in the larger boats is that it gets the bait out and away from the boat noise and footprint,(downrigger set) neither of which applies to your vessel. Try floating body bait lures with different lip sizes for different depths. They have better action at a wider variety of speeds. You should not venture too far from shore in a kayak on the big lake where you would need any more than that anyhow. Be safe.

• 3 months later...

I've used snubbers with success both on the Finger Lakes and on LO. For you guys that don't use them do you use mono leaders off the dipsey? I've used floro. for leader material. If I used mono could I remove the snubber? I'm still new at my wire dipsey setups and i'm just a little confused since everyone does something different.

Jay