Ball bearing swivels, thoughts?

I have used Sampo coastlock for probably 30 years. Not many problems, but the cost is getting a little steep. Over the years I have tried Cabelas, Bass pro, and Berkley ( discontinued). The berkley's and Spro were good, the others were not up to par. This year I am trying some Opti-tackle, they are slightly less money than the Sampos. Are there any quaility swivels out there at a reasonable cost??

I too, was loyal to Sampo. In recent years however, we experienced some failures. Heard that they changed manufacturing process. I will tell you in advance that I am a Dreamweaver Pro-staffer, but for the 2 seasons that we have run their ball-bearing swivels we have had ZERO failures. Pretty sure "Dream Steelie" Pete has them on his Great Lakes tackle site.

I have been using Optitackle Duolocks for years. Good product. The company was sold to another minnesota tackle company, so hopefully they maintain their quality.

i have been useing both Cabelas and Sampo ball bearing swivels with welded rings, i add my own crosslock snap.i had snaps fail but never the swivels. i'm curious as what fails the snap or swivels for i can not see a welded ring swivel failing.

Spro and Dreamweaver all the way,

Sampo swivels now seem thinner and have fewer twists c/w older swivels from a few years ago and they just seem cheaper. That being said, I prefer their dark black finish.

Good luck,

- Chris

Disclaimer - I do not have any financial ties to Spro or Sampo. However I am currently in discussion with Dreamweaver to be a "field tester" for their products although I do not have any financial ties to their business.

Sampo swivels have faiedl me a number of times. I was lucky most times as the snap failed when I opened or closed it in my hand nothing lost. I have started to stay away from the "black" color snaps as I have heard ( note heard this no 100% sure) that they acid dip them for the black color and this makes them weaker than the sliver color ones...........anyone know if this is true ????

Good topic !!! :yes:

Weird - the ONLY snap-swivels I have ever had fail are Sampos. I have had no failures with Cabelas, Bass Pro, or Torpedo Divers snaps. I think I have some Opti's, and bought some Eagle Claws on clearance over the winter. The most expensive ones for me have been the least reliable.