200 yd vs. 100 yd spool of lead core

I was going to set up another rod and and reel with lead core this year. Since they supposedly sink to the same depth is there any reason to buy 200 yds of LC instead of 100yds? It's obviously cheaper to go with the 100yd spool. Just curios maybe I'm missing something.

100 yards/ 10 colors should get you down 40-50 feet depending if you are running spoons, flashers, etc. If you can buy 200 yards/ 20 colors at a better price than a single 100 yard spool go ahead and get the bigger spool. Just spool up only 10 colors this year, and then you already have new leadcore for when you re- spool again in a couple years. There's always the possibility of getting tangled up and losing some of your core and having to buy new anyways.

Not to go too far off topic but with a Penn 309 (330/30) I should be able to fit 100 yds leadcore (.030" diameter) and 150 yds of 30 lb mono (.022" diameter) backing right?

330 * .022 = 7.26 total volume

100 * .030 = 3 leadcore voume

150 * .022 = 3.3 Mono backing volume

Total used 6.6???

Trolling 82,

IMO, I don't think 150 yds. of mono backing is enough for a ten color core. Instead of 30# mono backing, use 50# power pro and you can get much more backing on the reel and you'll still have room for your core and your leader.

Good luck,

- Chris

I use 20 colors on a daiwa accudepth 57.I do this because I do a lot of lake trout fishing in Keuka and Owasco Lake,while trolling live bait (hook setup as if it is a spoon)This can be done at very low speeds (1.3-1.5) and with 12 colors I can go down to 90 feet,14 colors give over a hundred.

Often when I see fish at 200 feet down I just cut the engine and allow the bait to flutter down.It gets them every time.

Trolling 82,

If you don't run a full core, and you only let out a few "colors", then you're limited to only running it down the chute b/c you can't attach the lead core/dacron sheath to an in-line planer or a release b/c you'll break the core and weaken it. That's why you see so many guys (me included) have so many different lead core set-ups -three/five/seven color reels, etc.

I run all of my cores on in-line planers from the spring until the time I pull the boat, and once I attach the board, I'll probably have another 150' of line out just to get the line to the side of the boat and out of the way of my Dipsy's and other lines.

Good luck,

- Chris

Not to go too far off topic but with a Penn 309 (330/30) I should be able to fit 100 yds leadcore (.030" diameter) and 150 yds of 30 lb mono (.022" diameter) backing right?

330 * .022 = 7.26 total volume

100 * .030 = 3 leadcore voume

150 * .022 = 3.3 Mono backing volume

Total used 6.6???

Mono can deteriorate underneath the core when used as a backing. I would use a superbraid instead and it takes up a lot less space on the spool.