WIRE TROLLING ROD

I agree I have two heartlands one is two+ years and the other is 1 year old. I have not put the twilli tip on but will soon. The eye holds up real well but I hear I'll get less curly-q's with the twilli tip by making a smother arc for the wire coming off the that instead of the way it comes off the eye.

But If you want TOP of the line custom make to your specs I hear LOTS of good thing about this guys rods:

Tony Childs

Eyefull Custom Rods

www.eyefullcustomrods.com

Ater fishing with both setups, I prefer the roller rods hands down. Do you need a roller rod? No. But you don't need a Mercedes either when a Pinto will get you to the same place. :rofl:

Shimano makes a good rod available with the rotating tip roller. I have known guys who owned them and they all went back to the stationary tips. Something about the tips rotating a full turn and.... well give it some thought. My Shimanos were about $119.00, stationary tips.

Glen

I have been using Shimano Tekota 600lc reels mounted on 8' Shimano Talaora roller rods for the last 6 years or so & you will not find an easier retrive system out there. The Shimano Tekota 600lc reels hold 1000' of wire perfectly with no need for backing. The longer your rod the more load the fish puts on you, the shorter the rod the more you can put on the fish. I second the comments above about the swivel roller tip, not needed. The roller rods also treat the wire much better, no abrasion/rubbing drag from stationary guides. You are not fighting the friction of the wire coming over stationary guides & twili tip with the roller rods.

By the way, I have two 10' heartlands with twili tips sitting in the corner of my garage. They have been there since I got the set up's described above. These rods are obsolete IMHO.

I have a Penn Sabre wireline rod with carboloid guides and 2 tip guides one a roller and the other a regular one.

The roller is great for deep sea cod fishing (line at 90 to sometimes 60 degrees angle) while the other is used for everything else.

Replacing the tip is simply a matter of heating up the metal (cigarette lighter) taking it off and putting some glue on the other tip and sliding it in place.

It is easy and gives you both choices.

I run heartland diver rods too, and have no issues with them. I have been wanting to try their heartland roller rods for a year or two now, but the 8'6" rod just wont get outside my corner riggers. When I do go to a larger boat and have more rigger separation (wider beam) I may try to run those heartland roller rods to see what difference there is.