Dipsy Rod

• 2 weeks later...

Smalltauk

The 47LCs are the reels to go with, but make sure the rod you pick has the backbone to hold-up to the pull of a dipsey diver, plus the added stress of when a fish attacks your set-up. I've got Diawa Heartland rods on my boat, they're 9'6" MH. My dipsy rods take my biggest fish consistantly every year, and some of the strikes are pretty F'n violent.

Also, if you're going to spend the money on the power pro, I would suggest spending a little more and going with a 1000' of 7 strand stainless steel wire. The wire line performs great and is a good producer spring, summer, and fall for salmon.

You can search for more information on the site here. This has been a pretty common discussion in the past.

Good Luck!

I have the Cabela's 10'6" combo with the largest Cabela's brand reel. I have used it with the 7 strand stainless and been pretty productive over the past three season that I used it. I am happy with the performance of the gear and it seems like you catch more off the dispeys late morning into the afternoon (IMO). What Jolly II said about violent hits is very true. I attached a pic of a brand new snubber snapped off from a hit last season. We had just bought it brand new that day from Woody's tackle shop. When the fish hit you heard the Whack and the the screaming of the line off the reel. My 17 year old son barely got the rod out of the holder because it was doubled over. The line went slack and the fish broke off the flasher and fly. Just had the broken snubber left dangling at the end of the line.

Brokensnubber82909.jpg

It was the one that got away. Woody's was nice enough to replace the snubber at no charge when I stopped back to show them. They were surprised but not shocked.

Gotta bite, Try the snubbers from Dreamweaver. I've never had one break and they are not as bulky.

Smalltaulk, ditto to what Jolly II said and you won't pull your hair out when the fleas arrive by late June.