Question.... boats and guns

J.D.

I'm having a discussion with a guy at work and I'm sure someone on this site knows the law and can set us straight.

Is it legal to discharge a firearm offshore ( 5 or more miles) from a boat on Lake Ontario? I say no, he seems to think it's ok.

Thanks, Jim S.

Although putting lead into fresh water is bad for the enviroment if you are shooting responsibly and clear of other boats your probably not going to get bothered.

Where do you think the Coast Guard practices. Off shore.

8yrs active duty USCG

You can only shoot ducks from a boat if it is not underway. I do not believe it would be legal if the boat was moving.

Waterfowl hunting section of the DEC Regs

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28175.html

under Prohibitions:

You may NOT hunt migratory game birds using these methods:

From a motorboat or sailboat unless the motor is off or the sail furled, and the boat has stopped moving.

Tim

unless hunting ducks like was said its not legal to load your gun on a boat. at least that is what the head warden told me when i asked him if i could shoot (target with shot gun) out on the lake. his answer was that it was illegal to load your gun, but you are allowed to carry one on the boat.

john :)

Im in NJ, but my guess is that you should treat the boat as any other vehicle, (RV, plane, car, etc), so if you think you can shoot from your car (not), don't. Duck hunting during the season is covered by your hunting license. So if you were on your way to the trap range in your car in the summer with a cased unloaded shotgun and your stopped your ok. Common sense applies under these circumstances. If your in your boat offshore out of hunting season in possession of a firearm common sense also applys, so unless you could convince an officer you are on your way to a range in Toronto you may have a problem. Thats just an opinion. NYC has different, more strick gun Laws (Plaxico Burris)

I think everyone should carry a gun onboard. Arm everyone. Mid day lows could be offset with a wharf rat shoot! Bag of popcorn, case of ammo, case of beer and that big sea gull calling, beer sluggin, son of a gun from new Jersey and you have some good ole redneck fun. Could you imagine how much fun that would be? Until the coasties showed up. :lol::beer::beer::yes::beer::yes::beer:

I think everyone should carry a gun onboard. Arm everyone. Mid day lows could be offset with a wharf rat shoot! Bag of popcorn, case of ammo, case of beer and that big sea gull calling, beer sluggin, son of a gun from new Jersey and you have some good ole redneck fun. Could you imagine how much fun that would be? Until the coasties showed up. :lol::beer::beer::yes::beer::yes::beer:

That sounds like a Redneck bachelor party :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::yes:

I was inspected by the USCG a couble of years ago and the petty officer in charge asked me if I had any weapons aboard, I told him there was a shot gun in the cuddy cabin, he tole me " do not go in there, this is for your safty and ours) a young CG

sailor got on my boat and asked me where it was and I told him. the gun was unloaded,

he checked it out and that was the end of the gun issue. asked where my shells were and I told him, no problem. oswego harbor area.

john. :) P>S> god bless the USCG and all who serve.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Going Again,

IF you have a NYS concealed carry permit, You can carry your handgun LOADED. BUT the DEC considers loaded firearms (long guns) verboten ON OR IN ANY MOTORIZED VEHICLE...ATV, Motorcycle, FARM TRACTOR, golf cart and on....including boats!! Discharge of shotguns is permitted from boats engaged in waterfowl hunting ONLY when the boat has ceased all forward motion including sailboats! I was stopped IN the Niagara River (4 years ago) at the boat launch by a full blown USCG on board inspection and one of the first questions was..."Do you have any firearms onboard?" I answered quickly, "NO, Sir" but wanted to add NOT TODAY SIR!, but thought better NOT TO ADD THE PUNCHLINE! They did a very carefull inspection of all compartments and told me it was OK to possess EXPIRED 12 GaugeFLARE CARTRIDGES. And I have installed Trius trap machines on the back of more then one 50 footer out of Rochester in the past! In today's world, target practice out on the lake could bring you a lot of trouble!

Respectfully Submitted, Jet Boat Bill