PFDs?

C&P from an earlier post.

L & M:

I noticed your reply referenced Parks and Recreation....so I looked on their site....here is the regulation they referred me to:

Navigation Law Updates

Life Jacket Wear Requirements

Beginning November 1, 2009, Section 40, Subdivision 1 of the Navigation Law shall be amended by adding new paragraph (e), which reads as follows:

No owner or operator of a pleasure vessel less than twenty-one feet, including rowboats, canoes, and kayaks shall permit its operation, between November first and May first, unless each person on board such vessel is wearing a securely fastened United States Coast Guard approved wearable personal flotation device of an appropriate size when such vessel is underway.

Failure to wear a lifejacket on such vessels will be considered a violation under Section 73-c if the Navigation Law and is punishable by a fine of not less than $25 nor more than $100, applicable to either the operator and/or the owner of the vessel.

So I called them, specifically to clarify the "underway". They said while the vessel is at anchor you do not need to keep

the PFD on (except as it applies to children). Also, it does apply to Lake's Erie and Ontario, also as I suspected it did.

Thanks for the replys. Guess I have my answers.

John

Capt. John Forbes

Times Two Charters

Yes,it does apply to Lake Erie & Lake Ontario,the U.S. Coast Guard will fine you if your not wearing a PFD.But then it goes further if your a Vessel For Hire,your required to have and wear (Type 1 )Life Preservers from Nov 1st to May 1st.

Then the 21 ft rule is bow water line to stern water line! Your vessel on paper may say 21ft but that is the anchor pulpit to swim platform,bow water line to stern water line may only be 18 ft!

Capt. Larry D. Jones

Vice Pres. E.L.E.C.B.A.

Yes,it does apply to Lake Erie & Lake Ontario,the U.S. Coast Guard will fine you if your not wearing a PFD.But then it goes further if your a Vessel For Hire,your required to have and wear (Type 1 )Life Preservers from Nov 1st to May 1st.

Then the 21 ft rule is bow water line to stern water line! Your vessel on paper may say 21ft but that is the anchor pulpit to swim platform,bow water line to stern water line may only be 18 ft!

Capt. Larry D. Jones

Vice Pres. E.L.E.C.B.A.

It was not being enforced by the Coasties last November. I was fishing perch off the Charlotte pier and they passed by a bunch of fishermen (couple boats trolling) in boats with no life jackets on and did not even stop them.

The U.S. Coast Guard stopped every boat in the Buffalo Harbor last November enforcing the Life Jacket Law,more then once.It was then that I was informed that the type 3 PFD's that my clients were wearing had to be Type 1 from November 1st to May 1st.So then I followed up with a call to the Marine Safety Office Buffalo to get clarification on the Type 1 vs. Type 3 since it was a State not Federal Law.I was told a vessel for hire can only have Type 1 PFD's on board,so that is what must be worn.So I got rid of the key hole style type 1's and purchased the jacket style type 1's for this year!

Capt. Larry