Need some clariffication

I was reading some tips on running Smart Fish Flashers. One of the test they ran was to run 3 colors of Lead Core with a 20' leader of Mono to the Smart Fish then 18 - 30" leader to lure off a downrigger. If you attached the line to the release right behind the LC you would be 110' off the ball. I am trying to picture this. We know lead core drops about 5'/color which would put the line at a 45 degree angle, correct? Would this not have an effect on the rotation or presentation of the lure. I am sure they performed this test but if the line stayed horizontal, which it could not, the LC would not serve any purpose.

Some better explanation from whomever run these would help.

Thanks,

Shade

First if my math doesn't fail me it's more like a 30 degree angle and thats saying it will dive 5 feet per color with a flasher which i doubt and it doesn't include mono leader which won't continue to dive, the mono will more likely level off and making the angle practically nothing and it won't affect the flasher at all. If you think about it a wire dipsy most likely has an even greater angle to only a 10 foot or less lead and we all know flashers work just fine off divers . so i say don't worry about it.

I was reading some tips on running Smart Fish Flashers. One of the test they ran was to run 3 colors of Lead Core with a 20' leader of Mono to the Smart Fish then 18 - 30" leader to lure off a downrigger. If you attached the line to the release right behind the LC you would be 50' off the ball. I am trying to picture this. We know lead core drops about 5'/color which would put the line at a 45 degree angle, correct? Would this not have an effect on the rotation or presentation of the lure. I am sure they performed this test but if the line stayed horizontal, which it could not, the LC would not serve any purpose.

Some better explanation from whomever run these would help.

Thanks,

Shade

Check your math Howie. :lol:

3 colors of core is 30 yards (90 feet) plus 20' leader is 110 back and if you figure another 10 feet into the backing before you put it in the rigger release, with the drop of lead core that will be 120' back and 12-15 feet below the ball.

That is what is known as the SWR or "Secret Weapon Rig" as it was dubbed on Great Lakes Angler, though really the SWR is 2 colors of core off a rigger with a 30' leader and 10' into the backing on the rigger which put you 100 back and 10 below the ball.

Very nice stealth presentation, by the way.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks CT...what i was trying to figure out was according to Legendary you start with a 18 - 30" leader from the Smart Fish to the lure, then a 20" Mono leader from the lead core to the Smart Fish and FINALLY you use 3 colors of leade core and attach to the Ball.

They never said about letting out any backing before attaching to release. I should have assumed that but I did not. By Legendaries instructions the 3 color lead core would not fulfill its intention of dropping the set up 15'.

Then of course you get the normal intelligent response from Ray K.

Shade