Thru hull transducer mounting

Bad Habit

I have a Lowrance x-91 I'm not using any more so I was considering putting it on my 14' aluminum. Is it possible to mount the skimmer transducer as a thru hull style to keep from drilling in the transom? If so what should I use for an epoxy/adhesive? I would like to use something removable in case it doesn't work out.

Rick

You can't put a transducer "thru-hull" with aluminum... you have to put it on the outside of the boat. They do make suction cup mounts that work farely well depending on the smoothness of the surface of your transom. Usually you'll have to take it off for trailering or on plane.

I would just screw it in with 1/2 inch long screws (pre-drilled) with a dab of silicone. It's hassle free and it won't leak.

Eric

Never say never. A standard transducer will, in most instances shoot thu & work ( altho with varied results ) in a smaller single layer aluminum hull boat. Radarsonics also makes a transducer for exactly that purpose.

http://www.radarsonics.com/AlumaDucer.htm

If so what should I use for an epoxy/adhesive? I would like to use something removable in case it doesn't work out.

As was asked I would try with that unit first and see what the results were and if not adequate go with a different mounting option. Silicon would give that option.