New England fools?

Hi spring fever fisherman.

I booked charter out of Fair Haven a few years back for my friend and brother inlaws 50th. What a great time we had. Big browns and salmon offshore a bit, the second week in May. Last spring he bought a boat, a really nice fishing machine and we came up to late last year and missed it all. To say the least we are not going to be late this year. So being from out of state,I am hoping for some advise and answers. First question is ,are we out of our minds considering coming up this weekend? Weather and wind conditions our dictating our trip. Weekend is looking sweet. Is it to early? Is it true that the biggest browns are caught in early May. Is Fair Haven bay open water yet? We have a small window of time and will probably have one shot at this. In New England ice out is the time to fish for trout.

I have proof. On March 6th we broke the ice at the boat ramp and a tail light and I caught a career fish on one of the cape ponds. Will post ; :yes: Any advise on the stretch of water between Fair Haven and Oswego I would greatly appreciate. Thanks,I love this web site and the knowledge that you share.

it is not too early. Provided the lake is fishable you should catch fish. Clear water can be a problem for those early season shoreline browns though.

I fish further west, so i can't tell you about the shoreline in that area.

Good luck.

was just out that way today , mud line with green stained water just off of it , with clear blue on the out side of that . go zigzag it and look for some warmer temp water around mouths of creeks ! good luck

We were hoping to launch at the state park boat ramp. It is just behind the sea wall entering the Bay. That' some good advise. There has to be ice still left down in that south end. Anyone know how much?

Your best bet is to launch at a River. The Salmon River isn't too far from FH. At least you know that ice wont be an issue there. The Genesee river is another good river. Stay out of the mud, and out of the clear blue, and you should have some luck. It isn't uncommon to work little sections of warm water this time of year.

You should consider Oswego simply because the harbor will provide protection in the event of a blowoff, so you can stay inside and fish where it is very good early in the season. With these warm temps the Oswego river will swell and get dirty from runoff and that will provide excellent conditions in the coming weeks. Just check the ramps in town to see if they are clear.

My brother in law and I were just talking about that. We have never fished that area but always wanted too. I just hate going there blind. Lodging,boat ramps,food. Hate to waste time but I guess that is the smart move. Thanks :yes:

Thanks for the all the input. I got a hold of Screwy Louie's Sport Shop and he was driving by the bay. Ice as far as you can see. Boat ramp open a bit but all chunked up. We are grounded in MA. :( With this weather it's going be like spring break for these fish. Ware your sun block boys. Couple more weeks before we will make this trip.

you can launch out of Sodus point at the coast guard station. There is

little to no ice on the shoreline, from the boat launch you are within a couple hundred yards of the lake. there is still ice on the bay which if it breaks up can plug the channel but its all pretty dark and punky so I would think that even if some did break off you would still be able to work your way through it to get back.

Thanks. I would go but it's not my boat. The chance of a blow off and getting stuck scared my brother inlaw. Its a long ass haul out there too. Like 7 hours or so if I remember right.

Damn I want to go. The boat isn't that nice,so we get stuck or sink. Whats the big deal!!

don't let a little ice scare ya :) This was Scott and I last year in duck season

dealing with a little bit of ice. believe me it won't be like this, actually

as of today the biggest part of the bay looks to be about ready to

swallow what little ice there is out there.

On a side note, at 8 am this morning there were 2 people out on the

ice on the south east side,,,ice fishing!

bsZLi.jpg