200lb power pro on my mag 10 instead of cable

I have heard that using this super line will eliminate the cable hum caused by the wire cable when trolling and minimize blowback. My other rigger has coated cable because of my depth raider. I am not sure if I'm getting much of a hum off of that because of the coating. What are the down sides to using the power power pro other than my down rigger's auto stop not working? It seems like the way to go and if it will help increaing my catch or hookup ratio anyway, I'm all for it.

You highlight some valid concerns of about what a suitable downrigger cable replacement should be but be but I don't think this product was designed for that purpose or they would advertise it as such.

It may be stronger line than mono but it wasn't designed to be stronger than ss steel cable or last longer. Wouldn't want to trust a temp probe or 25 lb. weight on that either. Weather and sunlight will weaken it over time and the plasticisers that give it strength will break down. Most blow-back is caused by the type of weight and the drag on it, not so much by the line. For the cost of it compared to SS cable, I'd say it isn't worth it. Someday a strong, silent, stealthy, hydrodynamic cable will be invented but I'm still waiting.

There are a awful lot of fish caught tight to the ball. How about less than 2' behind a dodger or flasher and all the noise they make? I not so sure that the cable music is a detrimet11.gif. The cable Hum-m-m-m is probably more irritating to the fishermen than the fish.

That's my16.gif

Larry,

Power pro does have braid from 150-250lb marketed towards downrigger cable replacement.

My 250lb Power pro downrigger cable ate someones wire diver set-up for dinner when they decided to cut me off in the Oswego Scotty in 2009. Trust me we were surprised too!

We ran 20lb weights off of it all last year. Not one issue or lost cannon ball. Except for when the ol' man ran one into the bottom off Oswego.

Larry,

Power pro does have braid from 150-250lb marketed towards downrigger cable replacement.

My 250lb Power pro downrigger cable ate someones wire diver set-up for dinner when they decided to cut me off in the Oswego Scotty in 2009. Trust me we were surprised too!

We ran 20lb weights off of it all last year. Not one issue or lost cannon ball. Except for when the ol' man ran one into the bottom off Oswego.

OH NO.......you just jinxed yourself Rich. I can hear you whining about it now....."I ran that stuff all last year and never had a problem. I just broke off two 20# Ridgebacks in 10 minutes!" :@:lol:

Hadn't heard of it till now, still don't think you can match the life span of SS wire with even a super plastic. Let me know in a few years if you had to replace it, don't think I could get Jerry to switch anyhow.

I was at a seminar on Great Lakes fishing a few weeks ago and someone mentioned they had more productive when switching to the power pro. They had much less blow back and less noise from the cable. Fleas are a pain and I also don't feel like loosing th rigger weights to to a weakend line. I was more concerned with the line knotting up , but it seems that was not an issue for anyone. I think I will stick with the wire for now. Thanks for all your feedback.