2 rod , 1 dipsey sysyem

I love the way dipseys catch fish,out and down, but dislike the exta drag when fighting fish,using snubbers or playing with the drag settings on my reels,dipseyes flying around while netting fish,false or inadvertant releases etc..,....Iwas thinking about running a 2 rod ,1 dipsey sysyem...Rod #1,wire dipsey rod with a release off the rear of the dipsy. Rod 2 any light ,medium ,or heavy rod , depending on lures and species targetted,clipped to the release on the rear of the dipsey. Let lure out desired distance 5 feet ,8 feet, or further for stealthy presentations,clip line into the dipsey release,put both clickers on an let them both out simultaneously to desired depth. Fish strikes,line releases from rear of dipsey,and you fight fish with no dipsey . The dipsey rod and dipsey with a release attached would be working as a downrigger and ball, but way way way out to the side with the fish catching dipsey signature in the water. It would be great for woman and kids to fight fish without the extra dipsy drag too. What do you think?...Has anyone ever tried it?.....choo-choo

With the limits in place on the number of rods, I will not be "Wasting" a rod to give this a try. I use walkers without snubbers and can't say as extra drag has ever been a concern. There certainly is a learning curve on tuning the release to get it just right, but once you find the sweet spot, you don't have to mess with it any more. I just don't think the system is broke, so I don't want to be tinkering with it.

I am not sure that this "dipsy rod" would count as a fishing rod.It has no hooks attached to the line and as such you are not fishing with this rod.

I do think that 2 lines that close together could cause a lot of knots and aggravation.

sounds like a mess ,and the extra drag will not give ya results your looking for...ive tried several outa the box....things over the years and the time invested to setting out rigs outways the results...but give er a try might suggest 15lb powerpro as your lure line due to small dia. and drag reasons.

Sounds like an interesting situation might occur. NYS says lines - no restriction on rods. If you think about it: Planner board mast has eyel/pulley, line on it and a reel but doesn't count as a fishing line. Same for rigger for all that matter. If you look at how seth greens were originally set up, they basically ran hooks off a rigger.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Thanks for the replies ....i can't see that a dipsey rod with no hook or lure on it would count . I was just thinking of a way to use the large dipseys, without some of the negatives that go along with them as i stated above. I don't think the lines would tangle at all, i'd put a 12 or 18'' tether to the release...the lure rod would be mono trailing the wire dipsey ,the mono would have a much bigger bow to it , like when letting down your rigger and rigger rod...no tangles. I was just thinking how much fun it would be to be able to use large dipseys ,with a soft , lightweight downrigger rod,8 or 10 or 12 or 15 lb class line and rod!!! Especially when there are lots of smaller fish around. Fighting 3 lb and 4lb and even 6 lb cohoes, browns , and steelies are not that much fun on 20lb or 30 lb class rods and line and a big dipsey ,.....but 3lb ,4lb and 6 lb fish are a blast ,and tons of fun on a lightweight ,rigger or casting rod,with no dipsey!Even the smaller kings would be lots more fun, on those days when the dipseys rule, with a much lighter set up....or you could use heavy mono set ups for the big boys too ....well ,...i'll give it a try and see what happens.....choo-choo