Motor Help Please

troutman10

So I'm all excited to get out and do a trial trip to make sure everything is working when I start having motor trouble at the launch. Here is the scenerio. Any help is greatly appreciated.

My motor starts right up on choke. I leave it running and after about 5 minutes then it stalls out. I start it up again and it does the same thing. I decide to tinker around with it by starting it in choke, quickly taking it out of choke and then putting it in forward. I take off and it stalls out while in motion. I do the same thing again with the same result of stalling out while in motion. Then I try to keep pumping the gas while I'm in motion and the motor responds by running fine. As soon as I stop pumping the gas the motor quits again. I happened to notice a small amount of gas going in the water next to the motor as I'm pumping. The gas was coming out of the upper housing area. I took the top cover and the sides off of the motor without any success of finding where the leak was coming from.

Has anyone had a similar experience? My motor is a 1998 Suzuki 15 Hp 4 stroke. I havn't had any problems with it until now. I bought it used about 5 years ago and the nearest place to get a Suzuki serviced is an hour away. The engine oil and filter are new, the gear oil is new and the fuel filter is new. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you drain the carbs in the fall? I have had problems with varnish in the carbs plugging the jets if gas sits in it too long. Also, if you have a small gas leak under the hood, you may have a small hole in the fuel line.... which means it will suck air when you are not pumping fuel by hand... actually, that sounds more like it cause it runs for 5 minutes.. probably just about a carb bowl full befre it quits.

Had it happen with new 4 stroke last year one of my fuel lines was sucking air at the tank. Also had it happen with an old two stroke once that had a bad fuel filter. If you pump the primer ball and it never gets hard you got air coming in at some point.