96 85hp Force vs 88 70hp Johnson

Rovente

What L&M said. I would go with the Johnson. I had an 85 force on a bought a few years ago. It ran excellent and gave me great service. Older force motors were rated a bit under power too from what I was told. My motor finally blew up and cost me $1,700.00 to rebuild. I sold it right after that. I know parts are getting real hard to find for the older forces. The newer force motors I believe were made by mercury.

If that were my options I would rather play russian roulete then install the Force... Much better chance of not getting screwed. :rofl:

Bottom line is that, even back in the day, the Force motors were the cheep alternative to the name brand motors. There is a way they made them cheep, cut corners. The quality and durability are just not there.

It's like rationalizing between an Kia and a Honda. Which is going to be better in the long run???

If the Force was a mid eighties,shortly after Chrysler sold out to Bayliner, it would be a toss up between 2 equally good engines.Anything 1990 and up with the name force on it is best compared to trying to give your boat cancer.

The only time that I would choose Force over Johnson,would be when the Johnson is a 1999 Ficht which is even worse than a 1996 Force.

Just from personal use, I'd take the Johnson. My previous boat had a similar 75hp Evinrude and that engine was awesome. It started every time, was very reliable, and would troll all day long without a hiccup.