Adding length to fly leaders

Anybody got a tried & true method for making fly leaders longer? I just want to be able to take a fly that's got a fly leader of say 21" and make it a 36", etc. I can see a number of simple ways to do it but I'm figuring somebody has messed around with this and could save me some trial & error. Thanks, -Andy

Andy,

I tied some of these up by using a blood knot. We used to use this knot when fly fishing to taper down to smaller pound tippets for finicky trout. Never had one fail on the smaller stream fish. Pretty easy to tie as you are using the same pound/diameter line. Haven't run any for salmon yet. You know they say the knot is the weakest link in the system.

Clarke

Andy, It's easy to tie your own new leaders. Here's a link to some helpful videos....

http://www.fishdoctorcharters.com/template.tpl?selector=video

Thanks, I know how to snell up leaders but I'm really trying to save both time and $ by using the same fly and leader rather than cutting off the existing leader and changing it out b/c then I'm trashing a leader each time. I guess I'm gonna go with my original idea which is to use a 30-50lb sampo swivel up at 18" from the fly, then I can add what ever I want to it fairly easily.

I tie a simple overhand loop knot at the end of all my fly leaders. I also have a collection of different length leader line tied with overhand loop knots on both ends (4 " 6" 8" etc.) then I connect loop to loop to add desired length. When not needed just unloop it from the other. (did that make sense??)

Yes Pete, I get it. I'm sorta sour on loop knots though (lost a slammer to a break right at the neck of the loop knot last fall :( ) -Andy

Andy I wouldn't be so quick to blame the knot or line. There is no way 50# floro should break under normal resistance from any fish in the lake. there must have been another factor. IMO.

I think Pete's way of doing the loops is probably your best bet. I myself don't add line but this sounds like the best way. I dont think I would add any kind of swivel as that would change the weight and certainly the action which the leader is imparting on the fly.