Charlotte pier trout fishing* now yak fishing

I was thinking about going down the pier this week/weekend for trout but i honestly dont have much of an idea of what to use, where to cast, or anything ;( I was thinking of throwing cleos (2/3 oz or 3/4 oz) but how deep would i let them sink, what color, or what retreive? Also, i was gonna throw rapala x raps (1-4 ft depth), deep xraps (8-10 ft), xrap shads (4-8 ft) or bomber deep long A ( 10-15 ft). What would be the best choice and what kind of water conditions am i looking for? Suggestions????? Thanks

Back in my pier fishing days, did best with the 2/5oz cleos and spinners like roostertails and vibrax. You will want to look for the "mixed water". Stained or off color but not chocolate. First thing in the morning was always the best. Don't overlook those short piers at Braddocks, I don't think those are very far from you either. When the bite is on, you won't want to let them sink much at all. If it's tough, you can experiment with them sinking near bottom and a slower retrieve, but this will cost you some lures. Good Luck!

Oak Orchard pier is another place close to home. Cleos are great but dont forget crankbaits and stick baits work great too. Try the lake side of the piers when the water is high and muddy.

Ya the oak is a little far for the bike :D Thanks for the help guys, every suggestion is appreciated and deffinantly put to use :) Maybe come summer il be driving around with the yellow yak on the roof of some "wheels", but for now manpower is my limitation until the parents let me take out the aluminum boat for some trolling or let me get behind the wheel when i get my permit. Il be out trying the pier this weekend nice and early. Thanks again :yes::yes:

Btw, to capt. vince, you mentioned mixed water and i know exactly what your talking about but do i cast into this or on the edge between this coming out of the genny and where it meets the lake? Also, would the standard silver or silver/blue cleo be a good color choice? any other colors?

The nice thing about cleos is they cast far and in return, cover alot of water. I always liked the orange/silver cleos. Crankbaits and sticks just give you another option when the fish have seen the spoon too many times. Dont be afraid to mix it up alittle. Dont forget the net.

Legacy is right, the orange/silver was a standby. If they still make gold ones, definitely try those. Also, with all the smelt reports we are hearing try some crocodiles if you have some. That hard mudline you are referring to will be great for Cohos when they show up. Out at the end of the piers at the Genny, play the wind. If you go to the Charlotte pier on a Nor' Easter (which we have here in Olcott) you will be buried in mud if the river is running muddy. You will have to burn a few more calories and go to the Summerville pier to catch that edge(mudline). Stop n go and pumping retrieves will produce with the spoons. You are bringing back alot of good memories. Spent many days riding bikes to those piers and casting our arms off! Good Luck, don't forget safety when trying to net off those high piers. The buddy system is a good idea.

Ok thanks guys im fairly positive they still have gold and orange cleos il pick a few up and i may go to summerville with a buddy over the weekend. Maybe il look for a krocidile sppon or 2 as well. If i catch something il make sure to post it and put up a pic. Thanks again :)

Big fan of the 3/8 th oz Krocodile, orange /silver, or just plain silver. Throw at the edge of the mudline, what you see on top may not go to much under the surface. Colored water seems to give the fish a sense of security, maybe an ambush situation as well. I take alot of time off in the spring and am strictly a shore / pier angler. PM me maybe we could hook -up for some fishing . Done this for 30 + years, and am still learning things.

capt. bruce- i know exactly where your talking about but how deep are the fish holding. Are they close enough for shore casting or will it be a good excuse to get out the yak :clap: I launch my yak maybe 3 mins paddle from there and id def. be interested in cheching this out.

Thanks

Ya il pretend tht i cant cast far and il get out the yak with a buddy :D Actually, im pretty sure that inlet is posted with trespassing signs b/c the water plant owns it :( Would u reccomend trolling around or casting and would i cast at shore, away from it, or parallel to it. Thanks

go get em jk, i do a little yak fishing for spring browns, try trolling all those areas with cleos, krocs, stickbaits, and fastracs(for those fish that are hangin a bit deeper). just watch your speed, a nice leisurely paddle and coast to an almost stop every few minutes, the slow down stop and start up will trigger a lot of bites from followers sometimes, troll in a search pattern parallel to shore with a little zig zag here and there and gradually work your self into different depths to see where they're holding, all the colors mentioned work, natural color baits for clean water and orange, chart, fire tiger for stained water, let the fish tell u what they want, and make sure you are very safe, the lake is very cold, make sure you have your pfd on and i recommend installing a flag on your yak thats sits a few feet above your head so you are easily spotted by other boats, hope you knock em dead, if you have any questions send me a pm i'd be happy to help !

headed out sunday, trolled around and cast for a few hours in the lake with orange and chartreus cleos but no takers. There was visiblity of maybe 6 inches and i think the water was just to murky :( Il be headin out later this week, probably all day friday or thursday afternoon so il see what i can catch. I even tried for some early smallmouth but nothing was happening. maybe later this week.......