Will a mooching rod hold up being used as a Dispey rod?

I just received 2 new rods that I ordered off of ebay. They were listed as downrigger / dipsey rods. In the fine print they are also listed as a mooching rod. They are 9' Okuma classics that I am using them for my light bite slider dipseys. Will they have the back bone to handle the stress of the dipsey? They are marked as "Mooching rod" on the pole. I can send them back and get a refund before 7 days.

gottabite, i also purchased the okuma classics recently, they are setup for my wire dipsy with twili tips, Have used them a few times now, and the backbone is all there, even up to 4 mph. not a bad rod for the price.

nick

I got a great deal on these rods. I wanted something a little smaller than my 10'6" that I was using for my wire line set ups. I went back on eBay and a few other vendors or sellers had them listed the same was as well as the OKUMA chart so I guess I'll keep them. I'm going to pair them up with some Okuma Catalinas I also purchased for the upcoming season. I hope to put them to good use.

I decided to keep them based on the repsonses. Tonight I put the catalina 25D's on them and loaded them up with 40lb power pro. Just have to add the leader material for he slide diver and I'm ready to fish. Thanks for everyone's repsonses.

I have one mooching rod in my arsenal. I really like the bend in the rod on hits and fighting fish. After about 10 years of using it, there are 2 signs of wear of tear. The ferrule connection between the 2 pieces loosens up and the top piece has to be slipped further down. The eye on the bottom piece closest to the ferrule is showing wears marks. These are the only 2 things you would have to keep an eye on after catching many, many fish.

The 10' 6" rods are fine and it seems to get the lines out away from the boat. The thing I don't like about them is that they are just too darn big. I have a 22' 1/2" boat and they are tough to move around with. I am always banging into things with them fighting a fish or trying to store them in the cuddy. I have not used the LB slide divers yet since I just bought the combos for them this year. I did hear alot of chatter over the radio with people doing well on them. I figured I had to add some to my arsenal.

• 2 years later...

i know this thread is pretty old, but the same thing happened to me as the first post. I ordered what I thought were rigger rods on ebay and they showed up and they say 'mooching' on the rod. Can I use them as rigger, core, slide diver, or planar rods just the same? They sound like the exact same as Gotta Bites: 9' Okuma classic pros got 5 for $82 and they have the chartreuse tip on them.