Marine VRS Auto engine?

I spoke to a guy who is in a crappy spot in his boating life. He like many others in the southern tier fell for an add craigs list regarding a mobile marine mechanic that winterizes boats. This SOB took $140 from each of his victims. All he did was fogged out thier engines and never drained the blocks or put antifreeze in the motor.

Here is the question, Can he/they use an engine block out of a truck? I would assume blocks would be the same, but I was not sure. Has anyone done this before? Any ideas that I can relay to him (other than shot gun therapy).

The SOB moved to Florida and he would have to go to the county in which this SOB live to file a law suit.

Do you Happen to know this SOB's name?There is a guy that used to live up the road from me that stopped and offered to do my winterization.I told him thanks but no thanks. Wondering if its the same person. His card says that he is fully insured which might not be true also. I dont see why a truck block wouldnt work but you better check with a more knowledgable person

Dear PS II,

You will have to be more specific, please! Mercruiser, OMC or Volvo? What engines specific...year, cubic inch, model #, carb. or FI. Some automotive engines will interchange but the intake, ignition system, etc. varies quite a bit. I am good on OEM GM engine info for marine use. Some of the Marine GM V-6 engines are getting far and few due to the need for a functioning fuel pump boss on the block. GM V-8 cores (Chev) are around but getting pricey at this time of the year BECAUSE of freeze jobs! My spare V-8 engines were sold last year quickly! Rebuilding V-8's is getting very expensive. AND in MY OPINION....buying a GM "crate" engine is a very bad idea. All replacement GM OEM engines are now manufactured in Mexico and inferior in every component, materials, machining and powder metal connecting rods! Let us know what the specifics are, PLEASE!

Respectfully submitted,

Jet Boat Bill

Jason, I don't know the guy's name. However he did several people from Mansfield PA to Rochester. One of the biggest reasons why it ticks me off is that, this person I spoke to bought this boat last year for his wife and 4 kids to start boating and fishing. He works as a mechanic for a local taxi company (we all know they don't make crap). He paid $4800 for the boat and now has a cracked block with an estimate for $4200 for the new motor.

Dear PS II,

Sounds like a 151 (2.5 Liter) Mercruiser??. Scarce and not the same as the Pontiac 4 cylinders automotive engine. If it is, a marina or a "Craigs list boat" would be a good place for a donor engine. There is a lot of these old boats around. Try Ray "K" suggestion on a marina near you. $4200 for labor and an engine with warranty is not excessive, but can be pared down IF you can find an engine in good condition. Call Hank at L & M Marine on Port Bay also...he may have one. (He is also a moderator on this site)

Respectfully submitted,

Jet Boat Bill

If it's a 151ci or commonly known as a 120hp 4 cylinder it is in an older boat and or engine. The 3.0l or 140hp replaced it in the early 80's. The 3.0 will directly replace it as a complete long block with the in/ex manifold. Usually when either of these bocks freeze they crack in a common area & many times can be repaired with no ill effects.

I replaced an engine with a truck motor, only things I was told was make sure it was a four bolt main bearing, and replace with stainless steel head gaskets. and intake manifold, this was a v-6 we did and it work fine never had any issues, may want to check the rotation also. the Gm v-6 with 4 bolt main bearing was same engine they used in boats.

Dear Gezijamez,

Please read the posters request, they are asking for a four cylinder type engine. Not a V-6, and check your memory on your V-6. ALL GM Production car, truck, & marine engines, both 3.8 and 4.3 came with 2 bolt main engines. The only 4 bolt main V-6's were GM Bowtie blocks and are extremely scarce!!!$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. The stainless steel headgaskets are only necessary for use in salt water. Blue Felpro head gaskets seal better and last several thousand hours in freshwater operation.

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill