lake conditions

hey guys,

i hope to have my new rig delivered to WIlson Harbour near the end of this week.

i need to bring it across the lake to toronto where i live. has anyone been out. i have never been out to the blue zone this early. are there normally mine fields to look for. im sure there will be an abundant of dead heads and will be cautious just looking for any advice regarding the first trip in a new to me boat.

thanks

Always tons of wood down west this time of year. I've been watching it drift down the Niagara all winter. Now, to top it off, there seems to be a burgeoning population of beavers working in devils hole. There are several large trees one bite away from toppling into the river and ending up out in the "blue zone". May want to wait for a perfectly calm day to make the run, just for the added visibility. What did you end up with for a new rig, and where are you having it shipped in from?

Please rally the troops over there and keep the pollution in the form of windmills out of your side of our Great Lake!

Ive fished the area early for 4 years and as capt. V. mentioned the logs are(can be) REALLY BIG .........and minefields do form at the breaks ..also many partial sunk chunks and logs ,,,, I also have encountered iceburgs in march as you mentioned calm day andboth eyes on the road aree a must,,, the modis site will give you some idea of current flow (usually) if you stay outside of it your pretty clear unless their has been a good south or east blow recently..

Dear ST,

A trip to Toronto at this time of the year would be very scary. Without a flybridge for excellent visibility, the odds are in favor that you will find a partially sunken deadhead as Vince P. stated. These can do unbelievable damage to struts, props and put a hole in your fiberglass boat. Try to leave the US side after a prevailing west wind that lasts a couple days. This will keep the majority of the big trash along the US shore. Fast idle speed 7 or 8 MPH will get you there in 3 to 4 hours. (25 miles). BE SURE THAT YOUR RADIO IS WORKING!! And all safety equipment is on board. That 39F water looks pretty and blue but getting in trouble out there can be life threatning. Good luck on your trip.

Jet Boat Bill........P.S. My 1/4 inch aluminum hull (made in Canada)with a Hamilton Jet drive laughs at the log jams!!!!

I have run from Mexico Pt to Olcott (126 miles)for the last 5 years and there will be trash just a matter of where it starts usually around the Oak it begins to get heavy. I have only had to come off plane once due to it being so heavy.

I think with your run north it may not be that bad but definetly keep a very sharp eye out for Trees and debris!!!! Good Luck and safe travels! Glad you found a Baha you were looking for, they are tanks. :clap:

Brian

Yes Capt. V I did by a Flybridge. I will probably run it to Olcott between the 16th - 24th and I intend on waiting for a calm day. I do not know if bringing up in 3 weeks is a good thing or bad but I can not get it any sooner. I will just take my time and have my son bring our 50 power binocs along for a better view.

Shade