fuel consumption

Hey guys my new boat is rigged with twin volvo 350 i was wondering what the average fuel milage should be at trolling RPM.

what are the pros and cons on trolling with a kicker?

lets say a kicker would cost me around 5k plus rigging and a kicker would save me roughly 30 to 50 dollars a day trolling it would pay for itself in 100 to 200 days on the water. for me thats 2 years.

what are some peoples feelings on fishing with a kicker

thanks

Hi,

I have twin 350 EFI Crusaders in my boat. I troll on one engine in trolls between .7 and .9 gallons per hour. This is by a Murphy gauge that monitors fuel consumption.

The boat is a 28 Baha. I would be hard pressed to put a kicker on it.

Dave B

Dear ST,

A kicker on a 31 Baha with twins will be a handfull in any kind of a wind from your beam. These boats have a lot of superstructure above the waterline and wind forces wreck havoc with your rudder control. And you will need the main engine alternator to recharge your multiple batteries for your electric riggers etc. You won't be fishing down very far most of the time in the Toronto Area, but you will need lots of battery power when your electronics are on. You have very short runs to your Fishy areas (1/2 mile out at Bluffers Park Marina) so fuel consumption is minimal but still expensive based upon Canadian Gasoline PRICES! Big Fishing boats such as yours are now a luxury due to the cost of fuel. If gasoline ever gets to $5.00 gallon on the US side, I predict the large Charter Boats will be forced to shut down. Enjoy the boat while you can!! They (30 ft+)really flatten out the wave motion on the choppy days and keep your passengers enjoying the fun. Climb on a 10 Meter Trojan sometime and see what the big beam does on rough days.

Respectfully submitted,

......Jet Boat Bill