cave run...

earlier in the year i said it was too far. now i have to use my vacation time or lose it before 4/16 and it doesn't sound that far now. planning on leaving most likely saturday/ sunday to go take the ride down to kentucky for the week. sounds like after the bad weather that the temps are headed into the 80's and after talking to people down there it sounds like it could be a great time w/ bigger fish moving into 1-4 feet of water soon with the warm up. what i am looking for is other patterns than rattle baits and jerkbaits unless thats what u should be doing. water isn't too high, water isn't too dark. anyone ever fish it this time of year. anyone ever troll in 4fow? larry, any help?

Nice roadtrip zach....hmmm...troll in 4fow..try shallow divers!! :lol: Time on the water man,you`ll figure`em out.I am of no help there.I`d be googling my a@# off `bout now.Runn`n solo or lex going with ya?Where did you pick up that epoxy?

Good luck

Sol

sounds lke it could be fun fishing in 80 degrees after living through another NY winter. lex and colton are coming with but will be staying about an hour away with one of her friends that moved down there. that gives me a free pass for 3-4 days. mr. grande- the epoxy that u want is called DEVCON 2-ton epoxy. they used to sell it @ walmart but now i have to go to ace hardware b/c it is the only place local now since wally world stopped carrying it. if you go to their website (DECVON) you may find a retailer closer to you in williamson. spread it on with cheap little acid brushes and need to rotate it for 30 minutes after spreading onto lure. recrimp the handle on those acid brushes because i have had bristles come out while speading epoxy on the lure and that can make a person mad to say the least. it is alot (like 10x) easier to use than envitotex. a heat gun will get rid of any smaller bubbles that may form but is really isn't necessary if you spread on 2-3 thinner coats with light sanding inbetween. you have to get the SLOW epoxy b/c the 5 minute stuff does not make a good clear coat. u cant get it to 'flow' before it sets up and will leave it with ridges and looks horrible plus the 5 min stuff is somewhat yellow. bob- i can only think of 2-3 baits i could troll with in 4fow but that has been good lately down their. i guess gregg thomas has done over a dozen doing that this spring alone. i will ask questions to the locals, believe me. sounds like slinging rattletraps shallow, jerkbaits (mantas and sledges) out alittle deeper and some twitch baits in between. seems that i can leave the monster cranks and rubber at home. i dont know if i could really leave for a fishing trip and leave 90% of my lures home but i think thats all i will use. bob-call me if you have even one question about the epoxy as i have all the trial and error anyone ever needs.. how funny is it that i will most likely run into larry down there. its gonna be on. gonna try to get a jar of "shine" while i am down there also. bob you said to try shallow divers? dont you think a perchbait 100 foot back at 5 mph will work in 4 feet of water in a shallow flooded forest- come on....

Zach, Sorry I could not make it over to Cave Run from Fort Mitchell,KY. The weather was very bad on Monday night,60 mph winds with heavy rain.Then it turned out that it was a good 2 1/2 hours away,only had the car for 8 hours of the day while my brother inlaw was at the watch show,not enough time to get any fishing time in along with the drive time!

I hope you finaly figured out the bite.

Capt. Larry

cave run is a cool lake. really a neat place b/c of all the timber in the creeks. spent alot of time on zilpo flats and only saw one other fish caught over 3 days other than a 30"er i got on a kentucky rattler. lost one other small one and got some bass. this was predicted to be the week to be down there but the water temp went up almost 10 degrees in a week (was over 90 degrees down there) and i guess this pushed the spawners out of the shallows and made for a really tough bite. i spoke with tony grant, crash, gina and justin mullins and everyone had a rough week. tony grant said he fished all his spots with all his baits and didn't know what else to do since he didn't do a fish all week. the mullins family was super nice by the way. i fished really hard and never even had a follow for 3 days of hard fishing. caught some nice bass but that really doesn't count towards making the trip a success. colton and lex enjoyed getting out of rochester and said that they would go back. at the very least i have a place to go in the spring next year but i think i may go in march instead of april. crash said the same thing happened 6 years ago. the water warmed up and the fish shut off for almost 2 weeks after they spawned. trolled and casted until i was done and then the dnr comes through scott creek and shock like 20 right where i and 4 other boats had been fishing for some time. none of the boats including myself even saw one before the got shocked. the fish were there but wouldn't hit for a da*n. tried every bait and technique i have ever heard of from casting rattlebaits, trolling short, trolling the shad schools i found suspended, casting the shallows and casting the shallows some more. tough bite, neat lake. bty kentucky seemed like turkey central compared to NY. maybe next weekend with nitro and bob i will do better chasing muskies in Pa, who knows?