Downrigger Terminators

I just re-spooled all my downrigers and was wondering what the terminator of choice is? I run a probe and just purchased #12 sharks that I don't want to loose. I have Cannon terminators, Tru Trac Klinchers, & Scotty thimbles & crimps. I personally like the Cannons because I have used them in the past & they are very user friendly but now, I will sacrifice that for the strongest connection. Thanks

Stick with your Cannon terminators. They don't cause any spots that create week spots in the cable to fail.

Can't get a much stronger connection as I've been running them for probably 10 years and never had one fail.

On my probe rigger I use thimble and crimps to insure a good contact but check it often for signs of ware.

Seems like I always end up trimming and reconnecting because of frayed coating before I ever have problems around the crimps.

I don't know what kind of releases you plan on using but I use Scotty pinch pads off Atomic Torpedo weights and this system works good for me. Might be completey different if your going to use inline releases.

Glen

Cannons ans Klinchers both work great. I use the modified Klincher for the coated cable on my probe rigger to make the probe removable.

There are old threads on modifying the klincher for the probe rigger, but here is the picture of the setup that everyone uses:

4271765e56ac18f6.jpg

Personally I don't trust crimps on any wire EVER, at any time!!!

Tim

Definately go with the Cannons or Klinchers. I've never had one fail but I lost quite a few weights when I was using crimp terminators. The modified Klincher pictured works very well for my probe. I picked that idea up on this sight last year. Thanks for that!

Klinchers here. All we have ever used for nearly 15 years - no cable weakening, fraying, etc. Have never lost anything due to Klincher or cable failure that wasn't an operator error. Like taking off full throttle with 13# ball and probe down 80 feet. :@:o

As Tim said if you are running coated cable (we don't) I have heard you need to modify Klinchers or use something else.

CLarke

I used a knot for the wire for my coated cable. Double it up. Run through eye. Flip around snap. Overhand knot inch from connection. Saw it on here somewhere. I test it by pulling down on it from the ground and my downrigger will come off the boat before the knot fails. Which isn't necessarily a good thing.... :rofl: