hey im new to fishing for trout from a boat (normally am a fly guy). i have a kyak that i got for christmass and was hoping to try and figure out how to fish for trout from it. i have places on kyueka and a smaller lake in cuse. Any tips or ideas about setups lures and lines would be more then appreciated. thanks and best oluck to ya.

Here's a fun trip....

Head to hammondsport real early. Net a few smelt in the viaduct. Head out in the kayak to where it starts to drop off. If there's a wind, you may have to anchor on the edge. Take a med, med-light pole. Anything will work. Spinning rig is fine. Hook the smelt at the end (lot of people argue about the best way to do this). Slip bobber up about 5-10 feet. Cast. Catch the browns that are chasing the smelt. Good times. :yes::D

• 2 weeks later...

on my yak, i have 3 rod holders, 2 in front and 1 in the back with bout a 15 ft spread which is good for trolling. usually put deeper lures like spoons in back of me cuz they go deeper and then shallower stickbaits off the sides. I also point the 2 rod holders in fron perpendicular to the yak and the back 1 directly backwords. Also check out www.fishgator.ning.com which is the western NY kayak fishing association for good tips