Sticks for Salmon

The winner of the salmon division (who lead the overall for 5 days) was caught on a stickbait. Not something I ever do, but looks like it may be worth it? He said he just through it out because not much else was working.

Ontario Canada has a very big short water early Spring King Fishery, I only know what little I have heard, but one favorite bait of theirs is a reef runner, I also here they beef up the hooks and run em off their boards. Transition for us in the Eastern Basin however is the fact that our kings get rather deep rather early in the season, and I am not so sure they run these baits other than in the top 10 to 25 ft?

Tom

sticks work well early in the season when the kings are still feeding on smelt, once the alewifes move in, the sticks stop and the spoons take over.

The Canadian guys love to run the reef runners longlined off of boards in 20-50 fow in the early season when the fish are in close.

Tim

I have had cold water years where I've taken kings off the boards and long lead slide divers with sticks in early July (15 miles offshore at the Oak in 57 degree surface water). Temps will dictate your ability to use these techniques, but the bottom line is that sticks will take kings, just chose to use them wisely.

The 5" renosky stickbaits in the mirrior image and the reef runners, big rapala's all take fish for us. We take the front treble off, and some take all but the last hook off.