Pike/Walleye Spawn Run at Conesus

I was up there Thursday, April 1. The walleye were all over. There were none stacked up at the barrier but there were plenty of fish from the bridge to the shallows just below the barrier.

The outlet is definitely low. Lots of light colored fish that must have been new arrivals from the lake. No pike visible.

Where are thes monsters in the summer?

We went on Easter and there were hundreds of walleye stacked in lower stretch by the parking area, but none right up at the dam. The dam itself had a bunch of bullhead and panfish trying to make the run...never seen that before. Couple of pike in the run just below the dam.

Scramp I should'nt have answered so matter of fact like that. I'm not an expert but a DEC guy told me that the walleye were running a while back so when I went to check out the pike spawning I figured the walleye were all done because I didnt see any but I did see some pike. Anyway I appologize I should have stated how and where I got the info. Hope everyone had a great Easter.

no ones fishing...just watching the spawning run. the seasons closed right now for eyes.

there is access and parking on just off W lake rd on the first road that runs E/W south of the lake. pretty cool to see. go check it out

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

The walleye do not spawn on the time set by the DEC closed season rules. They spawn when the water temperature and their metabolism happen to the right conditions. In Lake Erie Eastern Basin, they spawn in late May some years and in Ohio waters they spawn a month earlier. The success of the spawn is less important than the success of the fry and fingerlings reaching a survivable size. Predators such as perch can decimate any successful hatch. We must remember to keep the perch and smelt numbers under control if you want good walleye fishing.