"Other" Best Places to take my son for panfish???

scramp

I have a 4 year old and live in Avon. I know I've got Conesus to do some fishing, but the panfish are EXTREMELY small there. Any other areas any of you would suggest? How about the DEC pond up there in Avon? Anywhere else? I grew up on Silver and know it's great there as well.

Do you have a boat?

This is just about the time when the panfish bite over on Honeoye should be getting going. Very few fishermen are going to post here that they are "really into the fish" so don't expect that. :lipssealed: This is the right time of year though, the conditions are good and one would expect that there will soon be a bonanza of crappies and nice bluegills. Very same small green ice jigs you used in hardwater will get them under a bobber in shallow water. It's usually better first and last light. Try white grubs like waxworms and spikes and also try fatheads.

Move quietly! These schools are up in shallow water and will bug out quick if startled. Remember, the crappies have to be 9". They do check your fish there from time to time.

Good Luck,

Grady

You might want to rethink the whole Conesus thing...shocking, I know, but the fish that came out of there this winter were VERY respectable. True, there were lots of smaller fish, but there's also a whole new class of bluegill that Conesus hasn't produced in a long time.

Besides, with kids it doesn't matter what size the fish are, especially at that age. This is speaking from experience...not to be preachy...but if the fishing is more important than just having fun, you may lose the kid to the sport. Fishing somewhere the kid can play in a small stream, build a dam, look for bugs, that's even better. Maybe Canadice? Lots of small streams. Try casting for trout or throwing a bobber for pickeral and crappie. Good luck! And Happy Easter.