New life jacket law

Just wondering if the Police have been out and about enforcing the new law. I'm sure with the state of the State's money problems that the water cops might be writing tickets left and right. I fish out of Oswego, and my father and I don't like the law, but we will of course obey it. i just don't get why us fishermen have to pay for the crimes that the drunk pleasure boaters cause in the middle of the summer. Unless, it is just a money maker for the Government. Tomorrow will be our first day out as we finished up our homemade planer mast today! Gotta get out tomorrow and try her and the homemade planer boards out. Jeremy

It went into law last October. All people in a boat of '21 or less must wear a PFD at all times from November 1st until May 1st. I think if you're anchored or moored it's ok to not wear one, but i'll check again. So now while your trolling, casting, etc. you must have a PFD on.

This new law has nothing to do with drunken summer boaters.

It is in our own interest because it enables us to survive in very cold water for better than 2 hours,while without a PFD your chances of surviving in very cold water for better than 15 minutes are slim.

It may sound strange,but this law is good for you.

It is in our own interest because it enables us to survive in very cold water for better than 2 hours,while without a PFD your chances of surviving in very cold water for better than 15 minutes are slim.

Well said & here's a refresher of what can happen & how quick.

http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/cold_water/

When I was out on Friday (02 April), the DEC boat out of Henderson Harbor was cruising all over the Lake tracking down every single boat they could see (They stopped me near Southwick Beach) checking for both licenses and PFDs. Kind of a pain for them to pull along side when your using Otter Boats...At least they were patient while we hauled everything in and my wife dumped her purse out to find her license. Saw what they needed and then took off after the next closest boat in sight. Wished us a good day when they left. Wasn't too painful and if it saves somebody from dying in the cold water I guess it is a good thing.

The money made from tickets from this law is nothing compared to what it cost the state and countys to hunt for just one body in the lake for a week or two. Your talking some major OT at over a dollar a minute per man.

If it's in my best interest, then I will decide. I don't need the Government to tell me that. I wear a seat belt not because of the law, but because I know it's a good idea. I have fished on Oneida Lake with a life jacket when it was very rough and dangerous becase I knew the danger, and not because the nanny state Government said I should have known better. I don't mean to be a rebel, but I am sick and tired of the State telling me what is good for me. I don't go out when the lake is nasty, because I know it's too dangerous for me. Common sense weighs heavy on my mind. If it was "in the best interest" of fisherman, why does the law only apply to people in under 21 foot boats apply? I know that smaller boats are easily in trouble in rough weather, but any person on any boat can go overboard when they're not careful. Next thing you know we'll have to wear a PFD when ice fishing. You can't legislate morality or stupidity. Jeremy

Oswego Couunty Sherriffs asked us to put ours on yesterday at the mouth of the Oswego river at the lighthouse. Of course we did, & they moved on. I expect that they will start ticketing soon.

The new law probably won't save any/many lives, but it will make the bodies easier to find for sure.

By the way, they left their boat idling at the dock by itself while they sat on the shore for some time, hard to figure out why, unless they were hoping to charge a battery.

Hi , I am from New Hampshire and will be out this weekend with a group of friends fishing for browns. While we are on the topic of rules and regulations I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the State of New York requires insurance on your boat as they do on your vehicle? New Hampshire still has no laws requiring insurance , seat belts or helmets for motorcycles . Although not required I know it is a good idea to cover yourself in such a situation and want to make sure that no one in our party gets in any trouble for not having insurance. Thanks in advance for your input and happy Easter !!

I read on here somewhere that the 21 foot rule is "length on the water line". I can't find that anywhere in the regs. It just says boats under 21 feet. Are they sticking to the 21 feet overall or are they actually measuring the later line length? Mine is 22 feet from bow to stern, so it would be nice to know how they are enforcing it. If it's going to be the water line length, they should state that in the rule. Anyway, has anyone had any experience with this yet?

I very much doubt if there going to carry a tape measure to check water lines. But there is a piece of paper called a boat registration that does I believe state the registered length of the boat. Not sure of course, but I would guess that would be the item they use. ;):o

If it's in my best interest, then I will decide. I don't need the Government to tell me that. I wear a seat belt not because of the law, but because I know it's a good idea. I have fished on Oneida Lake with a life jacket when it was very rough and dangerous becase I knew the danger, and not because the nanny state Government said I should have known better. I don't mean to be a rebel, but I am sick and tired of the State telling me what is good for me. I don't go out when the lake is nasty, because I know it's too dangerous for me. Common sense weighs heavy on my mind. If it was "in the best interest" of fisherman, why does the law only apply to people in under 21 foot boats apply? I know that smaller boats are easily in trouble in rough weather, but any person on any boat can go overboard when they're not careful. Next thing you know we'll have to wear a PFD when ice fishing. You can't legislate morality or stupidity. Jeremy

The most intelligent thing said here. Thanks. :clap:

I understand your point and the law does kind of suck for those of us that are responsible like yourself, but it is intended for the irresponsible people who are way more prone to accidents and bad weather in the cool months. Although several people are on the water before may 1st, the major boating season doesn't really begin until after may for the majority of the boaters out there and at that time the law is lifted for all of us and then you won't have to worry about being forced to wear pfd's any more, at least not till the end of the season that is. I don't like being told what to do myself but it's such a short amount of time and I think it could be a small chance to save a life for someone providing they get help within two hours. Hypothermia sets in very fast in cold water and when that happens you loose total control of your limbs but if you have a pfd on you can still stay afloat. It could be the difference between life or death.

Maybe you should re-think your statement " enables us to survive " your body WILL shut down within 15 minutes. Your arms and legs won't work , your core temp will lower beyond 85 and you lose consciousnesses, maybe if your following the PFD law there will be a chance of recovering your body with out a dive team. Hypothermia kills

Steve

Here is the wording of the new law:

No Owner or operator of a pleasure vessel less than 21 feet, including rowboats, canoes, and kayaks shall permit its operation, between November first and May first, unless each person on board such vessel is wearing a securely fastened US Coast Guard approved wearable personal floatation device of an appropriate size when such vessel is underway.

Failure to wear a life jacket on such vessels will be considered a violation under section 73-c of the Navigation Law and is punishable by a fine of not less than $25 nor more than $100, applicable to either the operator and/or the owner of the vessel.