I was invited to join fellow LOU Member Chad and his brother for the Gill-T Hooker's shakedown cruise this morning.

We found gin clear water along the shore and nothing happening on the browns and cohos, so we moved out to 45-55 fow and the screen absolutely lit up with what we figured were lake trout.

It took us a while to figure out what they wanted, but once we did we ended up with 11 lakers between 8 and 16 lbs. What we finally figured out was that what they wanted was dodgers and flies and ONLY dodgers and flies, no bites on spoons, stick baits, Spin Doctors, etc, only bites came on dodgers.

all bites came on a west troll, couldn't buy a bite going east. Right around 1.5 mph SOG on the gps. Riggers and braid divers both took fish.

I have some pictures, but unfortunately, my stupid new Kodak digital camera uses a propriatary micro USB cable to attach to the computer instead of a standard mini USB cable that ever other camera on the freaking planet uses, so I won't be able to download the pics til I get back to work on Monday, so I'll add the pics later. Mr Gill-T has a bunch of pics also so perhaps he'll add his when he gets a chance.

Beautiful day on the water.

Tim

Great job on the lakers. You have certainly nailed them.

I was out in front of I bay and the color of the water looked good - all stained green.

I saw similar activities in between 20 to 35 FOW. So many marks on the screen.

After reading your post, I will bring my dodgers and flies the next time I head out.

Pike Hunter, this time of year the shallows are filthy with Lakers. The first coutour line on the south shore is usually at the 30'-33' mark which you will notice a slight dip on the graph. The fish will usually be somewhere past that first dip. Look at the pictures of the lakers we caught and you will notice how LARGE their eyeballs are! The other thing you will notice when you look at a laker is how big their nares are. These fish can see and smell REALLY well, and they live a long time so they probably have seen a lure or two. If you get into a big pod and can't get them to go, sometimes a jig/minnow with light spin gear is the way to go or drifting with three-way rigs with a small spinner blade a head of a minnow. From the other posts, and what I saw in the stomach of the one fish I kept.....small smelt are making up the diet.....about the same size as a trolling fly.