Current Wind and Weather Question

I've been reading the anticipated forecast for the Sodus Bay area until Friday and they are calling for temps in the high fifties/low sixties, rain tomorrow, possibly Thursday and winds blowing North, Northwest ranging from 10-25mph. Now these seem like far from ideal conditions in relation to the improving fishing but my question focuses on the wind and its projected direction. Is it safe to assume that if the wind is blowing North, Northwest that the inshore bite would suffer and I should focus my efforts farther offshore?

I must admit that here in NJ, I rarely have paid attention to wind direction in relation to fishing, except when fishing the surf. Highly simplified, I was always led to believe that a wind direction blowing inshore would concentrate bait nearer to the shore, while an offshore wind would push bait farther out. I realize it is more complicated than this, factoring in water temps, but any basic insight on wind direction in relation to such a vast lake would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for everyones help.

[email protected]

The best way to tell what the weather will be is standing on the boat ramp and looking out over the water :P 99.5% of the time the weather report is wrong (just from my 25 years experances fishing the Big O)in my eyes :lol: I travel along way also so you have to put the blow off days in with your trip itinerary.As far as the wind direction I'm not an expert but in the spring the wind would blow the warm water in to shore and I would think that would help but in the summer when the thermal sets up a north wind would blow the thermal off shore.and a south wind would put the thermal closer to shore and some times it will even shock fish or kill fish because the water is so cold.But the wind will make fish move around.Good luck on your quest this week end.

strong sustained winds blow the water all over check out that MODIS imagery ,the so. winds will blow the warm water out the cold will rollup into shore and the bad news it spreads the fish out ,the good news is 1to2 dayy after it setels down the fish are hungry bring some stream rods ultralights for the bay or maxwell creek escuary a gentle north will push in the zooplankton or whatever the food chain crap is it just drifts with the current when that stuf stacks up you get green water bait and the big boys all in one place and easy fishing even i can catch fish in those conditions, if the wind is to strong from so it will upwell the dead bottom water (low oxagen) and you get a fish die off near shore,hate to say it but the fishing will be chalenging (i think)for the next few days maybe sat .i could take ya out on the so end of seneca lake if LO. wont lay down enuf for your boat 1.5hr drive south.pm if ya want a backup plan.

Fishing at the Oak after the thermocline sets up. A high pressure leading edge with sustanied winds from the N.W. will push the preferred temps way down deep. However, a sustained N.E. wind will pile the cold water back onto shore, sometimes causing a fog bank to occur. I often find that is when one needs to run offshore and locate app. 56 degree surface temps, and fish the top 30 feet of water. Hope this helps.