Spin Doc's

Hey Kingslamon22 what do you pair with the carmal dolphin?  Also what are you guys pairing with Lemon ice?  Also Waiting for an answer to sk8mans question?!?!    Tis the season!!!

• 4 weeks later...

What would anyone say if someone took the view that the color is irrelevant? and that it is the action that gets the fish...the color is happen stance (geared to catch the fisherman buyer) and the proximity to the fish is what really counts ? :lol:

I second this that the action is what really entices the strike but I do believe that color has something to do with it but I don't believe all these patterns make a difference. Plain white, green, chartreuse etc will work just as well. Gotta have glow tho.

I guess I can rest my case.....just like with the lures it's the action and proximity to the fish not the color.... :lol:

Color matters look at a color spectrum chart. Certain colors are only visible to certain depths in the water column in the light. Red orange are for top of water column and don't work nearly as well in deep water as blues and greens.

I believe those figures reflect the ability of humans to see color at depth. I don't think the fish actually reported the data. I guess my point is that all these colors and patterns wouldn't ALL be effective if color was the only or main variable. The fish eye is known to be quite sensitive to the yellow/chartreuse/green colors - I concede that but all these crazy color patterns don't have a rats butt to do with what the fish feed on nor are they present in their native habitat and are in large part are designed to catch the fisherman's eye (and money....mine included) :lol:

If I had just one it would be white /mt.dew/crush. Make that two of them. :lol:

That is a good one..............especially when used ahead of a Big Weenie Butterface Glowtail!!

Color does matter but really how much color are the fish seeing following a Spin Doctor?  I think a white flasher with any other color on it, the fish sees white.  I don't really think the see green spots or black spots on a flasher.  Same goes with silver, green, black flashers.  I think the colors hook fishermen more than the fish.

Color matters look at a color spectrum chart. Certain colors are only visible to certain depths in the water column in the light. Red orange are for top of water column and don't work nearly as well in deep water as blues and greens.

The fish hit my invisible red lures just fine down 100ft!

My theory on what is taking place here and what color would be your best choice: first the spin doctor is not a bait but an attractor the motion of which is seen as a feeding salmon checking bait with its lateral line to sense vibration of the prey to insure it is a food source of weakened ability.

(Survival of the fittest) Now consider the coloration of salmon, if seen from below it will appear white( white belly) seen from above it would appear black, during the rolling motion of lateral line sensing it would flash its' shiny silver side and reflect the attributes of its' enviroment, ie, greenish water(lots of green water at Niagara), bright sun or dark day etc. The trailing bait whether it's cut bait, fly, squid etc. has already been checked out by a salmon and any following competing salmon must decide instantly to strike or starve based on how well the presentation you have choosen mimics what it sees every day as it occurs naturally and is ingrained in its' instinct to survive. All fish are camoflauged to survive and the pattern is pretty distinctive for its enviroment, the challenge is matching these subtle variations to where we fish and our wallet.

• 1 year later...

I always wondered if color mattered or not and it was just the silhouette of the tape cutting out the flash to make it a different shape. Like dots on a flashy background. Maybe the dots would leave like a hole like image and the fish would just see the breakup from the tape or paint. Just an idea. Although I've had the same thing happen with the uv. They would hit UV some days and not touch the other stuff and vice versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Here's my general rule of thumb..

Low light conditions ( cloudy, early am or late pm), calm water, and fishing deep water = glow spin docs.

Sunny, choppy water, fishing top 60 fow = flashier spin docs.

You don't always get those to align, which is why there are spin docs that flash and glow. And then there's UV also, which I'm going to experiment with more this year.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Black Dipsey, Glo Frog Racer Spin Doctor, and a Reel-Hooked Up fly go to set-up.............#2 Green Dolphin/chrome Spin Doctor, fly is a XXX-treme glow "pole dancer" or "lap dancer"( I confuse the fantasy).............everything as long as it's green ........and glow............. sometimes I wear a tie  :wondering:   :shake:

That's the ticket, with some sushi.

• 4 weeks later...

I like to use a white green dot spinnie pulling a bright green fly with uv glow and a gold 42nd spinnie pulling a moonshine smitty fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm.

Edited by G-Daddy

• 3 weeks later...