Newbie looking for advice... Genesee River, Ir/ bay

hwm

Well, might as well jump into the conversation, even though I know very little about real fishing! Mostly, my teenage boys want to learn to fish and we have a nice 33' cruiser on the Genesee River so I figured we'd try some fishing out in the lake this season. I'm not sure what we need as far as equipment but have been reading some and having my 14 year old check it also.

Where should I start in learning? I'd be glad to provide a boat for a veteran to come out and fish with us so we could learn. Is that a good way to start? Not sure so looking for ideas.

What time of year should we be out there? Is early spring (now) a good time? My boat isn't in yet so maybe can't get out until late April.

Thanks for any advice.

HWM,

I would be happy to show you some things and explain some more. However, i can tell you that the best way to learn and ask questions is hands on. By that, i mean a trip on a charter boat will probably fill your head, and your sons with more info and ideas than you would imagine, let alone catch fish and have fun. Please let me know if i can be of any help. My dock is at voyager marina, right next to the bridge. My phone # 750-3164.

Capt. Bruce

Do yourself a favor and take Bruce's advice. He has the equip. and knowhow to "teach" you firsthand. I know it is tough to pay for a charter when you have a boat already, but what you will lose, break and buy uneccesarily on your boat will far outcost the price of a one time charter. Besides, your kids will be hooked forever when they catch fish the first time out. Welcome to a great fishery!

Bruce is right.

To read about it is nice but going out with with a guy like Bruce, will teach you a great deal more.

I went out on his charter and I had a blast.

yeah, that sounds like a good idea, all. Thx. I may check into a charter trip for this spring once I know our schedule for sure. Summer ir easier but I'd rather get out sooner than later. I'm not that sure a 4-5 hr. trip isn't too much for us though. Maybe I'll look for a shorter one - maybe 3 hours or so. Is this just too short? With kids age 11-15?

Anyways, thanks.

This is a common mistake made by newbies. If you shackle Bruce's hands with such a short outing, he will be limited to where he can go, and be in a rush to produce some action. He will have much more flexibility and time to show you things with at least a half-day trip, usually around 5 hrs. If after 3 hrs or so you've had enough and think you have learned enough, tell him so. People are often afraid to tell us to take them in. As long as Bruce gets his rate to justify the run to fish he will surely make, everyone will be happy. I have known Bruce a long, long time, and he is a fine choice in the Genesee area.

Hwm, I know a handful of people that had their first fishing experiences on charter boats, going in to it they feel that 5 or 6 hours is to long, with a good captain the time will fly by. On a good day, your children will probably be to busy reeling in fish and talking to the captain to notice that they have been on the boat for 6 hours. Without a captain, you can spend countless hours driving around wasting gas and your children might lose interest. Trout and salmon fishing can get very expensive! The cost of one downrigger (most boats have two or three), is the same as a day on a charter boat. In my experience, if children go on a charter and catch fish they want to do it again. If they do it on their own boat afterwards they will have more knowledge and more patience (usually). Growing up, my father spent a ton of time fishing with me. Looking back on it, it probably was a pain, everyday I didn't have school I wanted to fish. 5 AM Saturday morning others would be sleeping, I'd be waking him up to take me fishing. He created a monster! But to this day we have a great relationship, now we take my boat, and I pay the entry fees.

hmn - I've been fishing out of the genny for a long time now. Believe me when I say that some days are terrific and others can be...well...hmm...uh...a real challenge. With Kids - go for the charter and learn the basics by seeing them in action.

Tom B.

(LongLine)