one steel head a day

i have been fishing new york for 15 years now. Ever since the 1 a day rule came upon, i have noticed a huge difference. the last 3 or 4 years the numbers and the size of the fish have increased throw the roof. I have my boat park in front of my place, this time of the year I'm always on the lake. I found that the creek fishing is on fire. I've never landed so many fish over the 30 inch mark. Lets keep up the good work with DEC. and fishing will only improve. So what do think about the 1 a day rule?

3hC5S.jpg

This is one of many today!!!

Very nice Steelie!!! One of the things about trib fishing is incredible amounts of big fish can end up in very small water. Skilled anglers like yourself can have a "field day". Just a reminder, the gills area of any fish is the most fragile part they have. It is their lungs. Unless you are keeping them for the table or mounting, try to refrain from grabbing them inside the gills if you want 'em to return even bigger for you next time!

Don't even pick them up out of the water. I know you guys like to take pics but try to be carefull. Be ready with the camera . Pull it up , take the pick & get him back. I don't even bring my camara anymore.Not to say I don't take a pic once in a while. I & whoever comes with me knows what we caught. The images are forever photo albumed in my mind.

Good point Jimski. The 21inch minimum size on Steelhead is a prime example of that. It is a "feel good rule". DEC themselves said that it was a social issue, not much proof at all of it contributing to more returning Steelies to the tribs. The 3 biggest reasons for better returns to your favorite trib of mature Steelhead, in my opinion: 1) Good numbers of Salmon around--locations and tactics can vary greatly from Steelhead approaches. DEC census, and my own personal records testify to this. 2) Stocking practices, including the addition of penning Steelhead. Guys, there are just way more warm water predators and cormorants around than there were years ago. In fact, in some areas, we are actually stocking Walleye to increase their numbers. West coast fishery managers, our Lake Michigan friends, and most recently Lake Erie managers, have documented a connection between Walleye populations and poor returns of Steelhead. It is the single biggest reason why penning Salmon and trout got started in places like the St Joe river in Michigan, and the Columbia river on the west coast. 3) Cormorant control, or at least stocking in such a way as to lessen the losses to them. There have been many cases where entire plants were eradicated shortly after stocking by Cormorants. The disoriented yearlings are easy prey shortly after being dumped down a tube, sometimes into vastly different water temps. Thankfully, concerned anglers have helped in many ways by becoming involved.

The baitfish subject is another very good point. The Niagara is currently experiencing a great smelt run. I know they try, but we don't have a very good handle on smelt numbers, or the incredible emerald shiner boom. These have been contributing mightily to our target species food source.

Lastly, that 21inch Steelie minimum makes me crazy for two reasons. 1) Often, lake caught Steelies in that 21" and under range are the most vicious feeders out there. They have to be to get their share. Problem is, they gulp lures deeply, often getting the gills or tongue. They may swim away, but that spells death for them, and a wasted resource. Bothers me to have to return a mortally wounded fish, especially the exact ones that would be great table fare. I have several groups that will only harvest injured fish, and for the ones that want 'em all, we then will take a replacement of some kind that otherwise wouldn't have been taken if we were allowed to keep the one we should have. 2) We all know how important it is to introduce newbies to the fishery, and have our tourist anglers enjoy their experience. That size Steelie is very easy for them to mis-identify as a small Salmon. If they get a ticket for that, when they have only caught a couple fish, it could sour them on the whole deal. Heck, I even see Tourny competitors penalized or disqualified for not knowing their 20inch fish was a Steelie.

You are right Jimski, sometimes knee-jerk actions for selfish reasons are counter-productive in the long run for all of us.

Don't even pick them up out of the water. I know you guys like to take pics but try to be carefull. Be ready with the camera . Pull it up , take the pick & get him back. I don't even bring my camara anymore.Not to say I don't take a pic once in a while. I & whoever comes with me knows what we caught. The images are forever photo albumed in my mind.

+1

Looks like a fish that was on it's LAST spawn run as well.....nice catch and yes the one over 21 is a good rule. Since these fish return to spawn several times during their life cycle it is a very wise conservation decision. They do have a very strong presence in the off shore waters of Lake O and it is in cooperation of the DEC and pen rearing projects along with conscientious anglers in the handling of their catch and return to the stream.

Mark