How Far Off The Ball?

I was wondering if you run everything the same distance behind the ball when you run:

Dogder & Fly?

Spoon?

Stickbait?

I know it varies, but I'd like a starting point for this year. Last year wasn't very productive running everything 12-15 behind the ball. Thanks

for spoons the 100 rule is a good starting point wind,curent, traffic,spieces,water color,fish mood, release type,and drivers ability all play into equasion too .6 to 15 maybe a little more on spinnies thats about all there is to it unless you figure in temp,line dia.,swivel size,number of hooks 1or 3,lure mfg,ring size on lure,and rpm's of your moter,direction of troll,and sun conditions ,and what type of beer your drinking,and net size..... hope this helps.

Loaded question... millions of responses...

Sticks- at least 50' off a rigger, esp if nearshore for browns, 100-150' off boards.

Dodger/Flies- there are times for 3', there are times for 60', start with 5-8' and work from there. If a full set of dodger/flies are going out. Deep sets generally 5-6 with the higher out and downs maybe 8'-15' range to start with and adjust as you see fit.

Spoons- nearshore for browns 2' down 60' back, offshore deep sets generally 6-8', higher set out and downs generally 10-15'. If out and downs are running above 30', I usually try to make sure one lead is closer to 30' to start with. Adjust everything as necessary for a given day. Off boards 60'-120'.

Loaded question... millions of responses...

That's why I did it. :D

@ Ray, I drink Labatt's so does that mean I have a better chance at getting some of those big Canadian kings that Skeiner is always catching?

Good responses so far. There's more to it than folks think. Thanks

depends if your in your boat ,or in the livingroom, better yet my boat if there there well get em ,i hear some guys drive all the way to lake onterio stick there toe in it and if its a little chilly or bumpy they go home did you ever hear of such a thing?

depends if your in your boat ,or in the livingroom, better yet my boat if there there well get em ,i hear some guys drive all the way to lake onterio stick there toe in it and if its a little chilly or bumpy they go home did you ever hear of such a thing?

BWAHAHAHA :D If I knew a guy with an Islander that would take me out in his Islander I wouldn't have to go home when the winds are too high for my little bitty boat. 8):lol:

quite your bellyaching after the memorial derby on seneca lake ill be paying the gas barrons again i heard one of those west salmons snuck by us and ran into some guys hook near oooh what the heck is the name of that town, anyways im kinda a oak orchard fisherperson till august ,now if enuf of those salmon get up your way i could turn my steering wheel a little east,but that green water was looking pretty good last wknd. near olcott and will be to the oak in a week or two if the wind behave"s ,then you might have to turn your wheel to the left ,did you enter all three derbys? (loc)

Yeah, it had my heart pumpin till I found out it was only a 19 footer. I've got a 16 now so I want to move up to a 22'. The search continues. Thanks for keeping your eyes open for me, I appreciate it.

Hey Bob, I'd bet that 19 foot Islander is twice the boat your 16 footer is, you ought to try and find someone close by to get an idea of it's size. Those 4 banger Mercruiser motors didn't get the nickname "Iron Duke" for nothing either. I have an 04 Starcraft catalog, and the 19 and 22 have the same specs for beam, inside depth, transom width, chine width, deadrise, and hull gauge aluminum. That's a helluva good price for that boat on GLA if it's in good condition.

Thanks Ron. I'm ninety percent sure I've got a 22' on the line. I'll be sure on Wed. when I go take a look at her. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thenks

Well, that one fell through. Now I gotta find a 19 footer around here to look at before I take a ride out to Michigan to take a look at the one on GLA. ;(