FISH FINDER SETTINGS

I am looking for help with some settings . I have a Humminbird 700 series FF/GPS combo. at trolling speed everything works great. when i start to motor even 5-10 mph the screen shows alot of returns/fish/etc. when i slow down it all disappears. i am pretty sure it is just a setting issue. Wondering what the fix is

ok, now i am getting more confused. I used to use the figure 8 and rubber band, on all my excess wiring, then i read that i should coil it, antenna wire, trans wire etc. so

should i change my excess wiring back to figure 8. please explain.

thanks, john :(

From what I understand, as a non-electrical savvy person, a straight looped coil will create an electromagnetic field around the coled wire and give you all sorts of interference, the figure 8 configuration prevents that.

Tim

• 1 month later...

I figured I would hijack into this thread instead of starting another since I have basically the same exact issue. Screen is perfectly clear until I go over 5 mph then I start getting small light returns peppering the screen. The faster I go the more I get and with Fish ID on I starting getting the fish icons popping up. The depth reads fine even over 20mph and I get a pretty decent return of the bottom, not quite as refined at 20mph but seems to be pretty accurate.

I know the problem is caused by cavitation, because revving the motor in neutral doesn't cause the returns to pop up. So I was wondering if I'm going at a moderate speed say 7-10mph and getting these dots of returns on the screen, but the bottom detail seems to be good, if I shut off fish ID should I be able to pick out fish arches and locate fish and not bother with the fish id. Or if the Fish ID is getting messed up, will it also mess things up for me to manually locate fish?

Not sure how good the Fish ID feature is I guess. Maybe I really need to get a pic and post it.

Its most likely trapped air bubbles flowing over the transducer. Rivets ( I have an Alum. boat) will cause this. Air from waves making bubbles, you get the idea. You can try to put your transducer deeper into the water below the boat, or move it to a spot that has clear water at speed.

Unless you guys all have fish finders that have a comma in the price I don't see the problem. I have never had a finder that would acurately show fish over 5mph. The faster you go the more clutter. Just the nature of the beast.

Turn the fish ID off. I have never been able to stand that feature. But then again I learned how to fish with a Lowrance X-16 paper graph. I take all the settings, as far as the computer processing goes, to zero. I want to see exactly what is down there. Don't eliminate returns.

Goingagain2 (John) The only figure 8 I have ever seen you create was the "loose" figure 8 formation you stagger around the red dock in. Must be something to do with the cup you always carry around. :lol: I must admit that warm swill you were pouring Saturday night sure was good. The sheriff even liked it. :yes: