Saltwater & Aluminum

muskybob

I've got a chance to buy a 22' I/O aluminum hulled boat that is down on Long Island & has been used in the ocean. Can someone give me some insight on what to look for when I go down to look it over. Thanks

Welded aluminum boats make it in the ocean OK. Don't use the hull for a ground circuit in your electric. They save a lot in the fuel compared to wood, steel or glass. They also save in paint, you got to get over its lack of chrome and gloss.

They also save in paint, you got to get over its lack of chrome and gloss.

I ain't one for much of the glitzy stuff anyways.

I'm keeping my eyes open for either a 22' Islander, Crestliner, or Sylvan. If anyone knows of one please pass the info on to me. Thanks

But what about the drive system, engine, manifolds etc. that go along with it? Not to speak of the electrical system and wiring in general, that also corrodes in the salt atmosphere. Just wondering is all. ;)

Salt water care consists of raising your O/B and lower unit up out of the water. If you trailer, flush your engine with fresh water and rinse down your aluminum trailer. Your engine has zinc [sacrificial anodes] on the trim tabs of your lower unit. They shouldn't be painted. Inboards have zincs around the brass props and rudders, not painted. Your heat exchanger has zincs at its entrance. Fresh water flushing systems are installed on some boats. Most boats have a "Perko" switch to disconnect the batterys although some electronics require some power to "save the memory?"

Again- use a two wire system directly to the batterys to prevent parasitic circuits from starting electrolysis.

The new US Coast Guard 47' Patrol boats are aluminum and they have no qualms over their use in salt water.

Another point to remember on puttting anti fouling paint on the bottom of an aluminum boat is to not put any paint containing copper oxides on the aluminum. This applies to both fresh and salt water. The dissimilar metals become a wet cell battery and your aluminum is sacrificed. Read your your paint instructions carefully.

My search is finally over. I bought a '96 Islander 221 4.3L I/O yesterday. I take delivery on Friday and I couldn't be more excited. I feel like a little kid at Christmas. A most heartfelt THANK YOU to everyone for all the help. Hope to see you all on the water this year. 8)

Thanks Stan, I pick her up tomorrow. I can't wait. :shock: :D

Have a safe trip Bob. I think you originally said you were picking it up Friday, glad to see you're going tomorrow. With this being Memorial Day weekend, traffic will be a b***h. Now start getting that money out of the mattresses and cookie jars!

Sorry, I'm leaving tomorrow, staying overnight in Illinois, & picking it up on Friday. I've been getting a day ahead of myself all week. Anticipation. ;) I'm driving my girlfriend nuts. :P

The bank's got a lot of money. Just ask for it and they give it to you.