Trailer issues

Justin

I am having a hard time loading my 20'sylvan.Seems to pull really hard.It had aTW4000 Strongarm winch on it but had some mechanical issues with it.I temporarily put a #1200 manual winch on and stripped the gears the first time pulling the boat out.Now I put a Reese 2000 winch on that claims to have #5000 marine capacity and even that seemed to struggle. I have tried backing further down on the ramp.Not sure if something is out of adjustment or what but it is getting REALLY frustrating.BTW it is a loadrite bunk trailer.

Any ideas would be helpful.I can post a pic of the front of the trailer if that would help.

Bunks suck.

You don't have it far enough in the water. Simple solution is the bunks have to be under water and the boat should go almost all the way on, and only winch the last foot or two.

A solution I came up with was bunk slicks. They help some, but still require me to get wet feet loading the boat.

Bunks are completely submerged but the way the front is you have to pull it out a little to get the bow to rise over the rubber v's.I have not seen any trailers like this most have the roller.I will post a pic tomorrow as my explaination is no good.

LB88 I would love to do just that.What does a slip down there cost?I might consider it if reasonable

is that sylvan an alum boat. if so something is really out of wack. even if fiberglass

you should not have that prob. check the angle you are pulling. unless u have nonslip

on your bunks that should not happen.

john :(

I just submerse my trailer deep enough so the boat floats over the bunks. Hook up the winch and winch it maybe 2 feet to get the bow in place. Pull out slow so that the trailer comes up and the boat lands on the bunks. No hard work or winching involved. I used to do it this way for my 20 foot Grew and now do so for a 22 ft. Reinell.

its worth it. its nice to arrive and just untie and go!! they have one slip left, i asked yesterday. includes bathrooms, showers, land, and you could prob get it for 750 bucks for your size boat, maybe even cheaper.

Clean the boat out it will ride higher and pull easier. :lol: I may even have a home for any unwanted gear. ;)

Don't hold your hand on you arse :P Theres still room for more gear if not I will have to buy a bigger boat 8):lol: I am starting to run out of room for the manicans :rofl:

Justin, I can relate to your situation. My trophy has a bow pulpit on it so you cant have the trailer to deep because it wont clear the front bow rubber. So I am stuck keeping the trailer out farther and strong arming the boat on. Kinda sucks but it works. I just today finished installing my new trailer bunks. We'll see this weekend how they work might even pull harder I hope not. I also just getting use to this boat only launched and recovered it twice so far!!

TD

Justin,

I had a similar problem with my Trophy. The bunk trailer had keel rollers. The keel rollers were a very tight fit in the mounting brackets, and the weight of the boat would cause them to bind, not turn. This would force you to drag the boat over rubber, which was a pain. I broke a few winch ropes, cables, and straps before I figured that out. I wound up trimming the keel rollers so they would turn easily with load on them, and the boat loaded much easier. Not sure if this is your issue, though. My current boat is much heavier, and my bunk trailer has no keel rollers, and it loads relatively easily. I also have a bow pulpit, and you can get too deep on a steep ramp. It works best for me to back my trailer in until I can just see the front tips of the bunks. If the last 1-2' is too hard to crank, I just back in another foot or so.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tip Sponge I will check the keel rollers the next time it is off the trailer. Thanks TD now I dont feel as dumb. I thought it was something I was doing wrong but I guess I am not the only one having this struggle.Bunk slides are on the list for the next time as well. I was thinking a midweek trip to the launch when it wont be as busy I hope.Another thing I was wondering is if I can replace the cable on the reese winch with a regular strap. I already had it come off the spool and wrap around the shaft :no: .I need to get this straightened out before all the pleasure boaters get out in full swing. They get annoyed quite easily :lol:

Can't wait, I like watching the pleasure boaters launch. Most can't back a trailer, Half the boats won't start, they forget drain plugs,even seen one float away. Loading can be just as fun as watching you. :rofl::rofl::rofl: The ones I feel bad for are the wives and childeren with a$$hole fathers yelling and screaming like its thier fault. :@

I have 2 thought here. possibly you may have to spread the bunks out a little bit further to allow the boat to come on the trailer farther, and also they do sell bunk style rollers to replace the carpeted ones. just my 2 cents for what its worth ;)

I had a 22 aluminum sylvan which had two strakes on either side of the keel, one only went partially back and would get hung up by the bunks, so if your boat is aluminum check that possibility.

I have a 1988 loadrite with a 20.5 starcraft. It has a cluster of 4 rollers first (as you bring the boat on) these are for centering the boat on the trailer, then two sets of bunks. I removed the lowest set with and put on bunk rollers also added a rubber roller where the frame and tunge meet for steep ramps ( bow would hit it coming on the trailer) and guides on the sides to help center boat. The only way those rollers on the trailer would work was if I pulled the boat up to them watched as the boat got straight then backed in farther. That's was fine with two people but I fish alone alot !!! I also put the slicks on the bunks. If your tailer is in the sun make sure you back in too far and get those slicks wet or will may go on a bit hard. Mine goes on fine now as I back the trailer in and water just about covers the tunge , I then pull it on the trailer and only have to winch the last 18" or so........... If you post a piture I may beable to tell if we have the same style trailer......then I can take some picture so you can see my set up. My biggest problem is that the bunks can flip over if I hit a pot-hole when empty..................

Erabbit your trailer sounds close to the same except mine only has keel rollers. Heres some pics

EgZUJ.jpg

zkt50.jpg

Eh8Ti.jpg

this roller does look a little worn.could that be the problem?

zkAzr.jpg

Hope this helps. Split is there a chance the bunks could be too low?I will try backing it in a little further as Erabbit said. I was a little nervous of this at the watkins launch because I was told the ramp drops off.I have heard the horror stories of people ripping the axles off trying to pull back out :o

if you go to the watkins launch, you shouldnt be able to reach the end of the launch, it usually happens when the water is low, or the operator thinks he has to have his rear tires submerged. with that said, you should be able to get youre tires wet, and still have room before hitting the edge at the clute park launch