Fished a nice little trib, water was almost perfect. Clear enough to see the bait, not enough to see the shore! Ended up 4 for 8 all steelhead. One was an absolute pig, we guessed around 15. It was the biggest steelhead of the year. Lot of fresh fish in the water, this last storm really helped out. All caught on pink eggs under a float. We were only there for about 2 hours. I think the next few days will be very nice. Here is a picture of one going back in.

B2Lvr.jpg

jeb,nice job!!!..,..and nice fish!

i was up to the salmon river on sun. morn.went 2 for 7 all steel on the center pin rod.all came on green or pink berkley worms.

the fish were on steroids,jumping out of the water like crazy.my best ever on the center pin, smallest was four lbs and largest about nine.my first season with the pin,i luv it!

mike m :)

I was amazed at the fight these fish had. The first one I caught had to jump ten times. Warmer temperatures = more active fish? The last one I caught, I think wanted to run all the way to the lake. Great fun and hope to make it out one more time.

Definitely more spirited in warmer temps. Rarely clear the water in the Niagara during the winter(33 degrees), but in the 40's--look out! If you haven't experienced open water mid-Summer "IRON", you owe it to yourself to see what they can do in 60 degree water. The strike of a Steelie on a wire diver in warm water is absolutely sinister!

Sinister Indeed ---- I second that Vince. You cant judge the size of the fish from their initial hit either.

A 6-8 pound steelie will CRUSH a wire diver like a 20 pound king would-

I cant wait!! 8)

I can't remember catching a fresh steelhead in the stream when the temps were this warm. I will agree that catching steelhead during the summer can be more entertaining then catching salmon sometimes. Any day now. I can't wait to see the first salmon report from the bar.

Love and appreciate both species. The Steelhead is probably the most adaptable gamefish of the Salmonoids. They can be crazy active in the dead of winter, in water that would be as solid as concrete if it wasn't moving, and wicked in water better suited for bullfrogs in the dog days of August. There are trade offs, as with anything. The warm water fish have brought many ridiculed anglers to their knees, but if they don't ruin you early they peter out quick. The Kings, with their "serial killer" eyes, fry you mentally some days and steal your tackle others. The stamina they exhibit in the cool water of the Spring, is certainly one reason why they are aptly named the "King".