Depth Raider signal

Gotta Bite

My depth raider worked really well the first year rarely losing the signal. Last year the coating on the cable got chewed up. Used the liquid electrical tape and as the season wore on I eventually replaced it with new cable. The unit never worked as good as it did the first year. It would lose signal at just barely 100 feet down and sometimes even less. I tried the wet cloth on the antenna and cable and even gum that all got stuck on the cable. Not sure what else to do. Someone mentioned to me drilling a terminator release and I would be able to remove the probe and he also found it to be a better connection because the exposed wire is wrapped around the bolt. Has anyone done this before and or have a diagram or another suggestion? I'd like to take care of it before I start fishing this season. I appreciate the feedback.

here is the setup. On a Klincher terminator

4271765e56ac18f6.jpg

drill out the rivet and replace it with a 3/4" #10 stainless machine screw with washers on either side of the plastic and a stainless nut (I use a nylock nut).

leave some extra cable out the top of the klincher, crimp on a ring terminal (I like to use the type with the adhesive filled shring tubing) and insert the ring ontothe machine screw and install the nylock nut so that the ring terminal is between the washer and the nut, this keeps a metal to metal connection and maintains continuity with the snap swivel. for the snap swivel, get rid of the one the klincher comes with and raid a heavy BB stainless swivel from an spin doctor to use in its place.

I've had this setup down over 160 and not lost signal on my DR.

Tim

I had a similar problem it ended up I had a very small crack in the battery cap and when it was deep i was getting a little moisture inside of the battery compartment. After replacing the cap and the orings it worked like brand new.

I love my DR the crack I am sure was a storage problem on my boat and since it was fixed it has been a very solid performer. If I ever neede to replace it I would consider the X4 but when I bought my DR the Fish Hawks were considered junk by most of the people I know that owned one and the X4 was not out yet.

Call Chris at St. Peters and ask about the Walker cable.

Yes, that is definitely worth looking into. Last year, Walker had some people trying out their non coated temp-sense cable with the Subtroll/DR instead of the standard coated cable and from everything I've seen, it worked great. It's a little more expensive, but if you are that worried about the coated cable, it is certainly an option. Just not sure where it is available in the States, though I would imagine if there was a demand, Jeff at Fish307 would probably get it in stock.

Tim

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the new cable from Walker online maybe. If I can't find it tbro's post above which was very informative and I still have the cable from last year which is still in great shape.