salmon river thug attack!!!!!! Update

seen this type of cr** too much, this is why in addition to fishing gear, I carry a pistol, and am not afraid to use it to defend myself or others, ( 32 years Law Enforcement background), I remember years ago going down to Burt to fish ( OK actually snag, when it was legal) it was fun, maybe a dozen guys total, missed many years going there due to job but on a return years later saw hundreds of "fishermen", more fight than I care to list, and that was the start of me carrying while fishing. I do hope arrests are made and the thugs are put away for a reasonable sentence. Good luck to Bill, though I do not know him, Thank you for your service ( from an old vet also), and good fishing and many more years of it for sure! :beer:

Salmon River fight defendants go to jury trial Sept. 27

Published: Monday, August 16, 2010, 8:31 PM Updated: Monday, August 16, 2010, 8:36 PM

Debra J. Groom / The Post-Standard

Altmar, NY -- A jury in Albion Town Court will decide the fates of the two men charged in the assault of an Ithaca man in the Salmon River in April.

A jury trial will begin at 10 a.m. Sept. 27 in the court on Bridge Street in Altmar for Patrick A. Mahoney, 42, of state Route 13, Altmar, and Robert R. Mahoney III, 45, of county Route 15, Boylston. They are charged with misdemeanor counts of assault and petit larceny and a state environmental conservation charge of fighting in a fishing access area.

The Mahoneys are accused of kicking and punching William Murray, 62, repeatedly and holding his head below water during an incident April 8 at the Ellis Cove fishing access area in Albion.

The Mahoneys' lawyer, David Antonucci of Watertown, said Murray was the aggressor and his clients defended themselves.

The pair was in Albion Town Court Monday to try to resolve the case. Both Antonucci and Oswego County Assistant District Attorney Mark Moody said the two sides could not come to any resolution concerning the case.

The two will be tried together and town Justice Howard Allen warned them they cannot during the trial blame each other for the incident.

The misdemeanor charges can result in fines of up to $1,000 and jail for up to one year. The DEC violation carries a fine up to $250 and imprisonment of up to 15 days.

More:

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/ ... 7_for.html

Well its good to hear that the plea bargain didnt work out and it will go to a jury after all. Funy it didnt mention anything about losing his guide license. Im trying to figure out how any type of jury is gonna sit in that court room though. The room cant be any bigger than a 10 foot square room. Maybe they are gonna move the firetrucks out of the place and set it up in there lol. May justice prevail..

Is it a jury of people from Altmar???? Or from all over??? Its not like anybody would be afraid of these thugs and be afraid of pay back from them if they are on the jury and live in town. You gotta laugh it when the fines are worse for snagging trout and salmon than if you almost kill someone. Wait till this year....everyone fishing will be nervous and packing heat.....then we will be reading about gun play in the schoolhouse pool....gotta love new york state.

Everyone is talking about retribution. I have got to think that one way we could "punish" these guys is to hit them in their pocket book. I'm thinking...................book a fishing trip with them, send them a small deposit (or none if you can play them for a sucker) then don't show up. If 50 - 100 guys did this it would put a hurting on their business end.

OR............... we could take up a collection and post a billboard in Altmar "reporting" the disposition of this case or even that they faced the charges. Could even raise a bit of money by having 1 day derbies with 50% payout 50% to the cause -- (I love these types of contests because they are for a good cause and not just greed)

I personally still have some faith in both the system and karma. It sounds like things have progressed appropriately and that these guys will get their day in court, for better or worse. As much as I despise the thought of some thugs getting away with BS, I'd hate even more to place blame on an innocent party based on what I'd read on an internet thread. It's easy to get worked up without knowing the facts. I'm not defending anyone or condoning their behavior, I'm just saying: I wasn't there and I'm not going to try to destroy some guy's business based on hear-say. In principle I think that they should throw the book at these guys IF THEY ARE FOUND GUILTY. But that's not my decision to make and I'm not going to participate in lynch mob mentality. The foundation of our legal system is "innocent until proven guilty"; that means it's better to let a guilty guy walk than to persecute an innocent man. I say let the courts decide, and just hope my faith isn't misplaced.

Gator

• 1 month later...

Now there is creative defense! Make sure that there are not enough jurors available and then just keep on refusing the ones that are available.

This has a very onerous smell. Shame on Albion and the town justice for not calling up enough jurors!

talk about a horrible thing...wow.. sorry bill.. hope you get better soon..

i hope they get the 2 that did it n put them away for a loonnnggg time.. i had a similar, unescalating problem there once.. i brought my drift boat out to the sr, with intent of ONLY floating with myselft and my fishing/guiding partner... i had 2 local "guides" advace on me in altmar, they didnt beat me up but i had a weapon in clear view. then, when i pulled out downstream, the same 2 duchebags were there waiting for me..again, they just basically gave me some vocal b/s and left but that was unnessicary.

now, i totally understand that the river is your livelyhood and i wouldnt even try to take a cent from any of you, but its NOT anybodys river.. its everyones river.. we all have the right to fish and be happy there and nobody should ever have to worry about something like what happened to bill happeneing to them... i hope that the police clean the scum out of the pulaski area.. and i also want to say, i know a LOT of the guides/people in the area are extremely polite and respectfull.. and if it werent for you guys youd never see my face in the area.. so thank you..

• 5 months later...

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/ ... guilt.html

Robert Mahoney found not guilty of all charges; Patrick Mahoney guilty of one count of assault, one count of petit larceny and fighting in a fishing area.

Published: Friday, March 04, 2011, 9:06 PM Updated: Friday, March 04, 2011, 9:17 PM

By Debra J. Groom / The Post-Standard

Altmar, NY -- After about four and a half hours, the jury in the Mahoney brothers assault trial Friday night found Robert Mahoney not guilty of all charges.

Patrick Mahoney was found guilty of reckless assault, petit larceny and fighting in a fishing area. He was found not guilty of intentional assault. The assault and petit larceny charges are misdemeanors while the fishing area charge is a violation of state Department of Environmental Conservation law.

Patrick Mahoney will be sentenced at 6 p.m. May 2. Town Justice Howard Allen Jr. ordered a pre-sentence report to be done by the Oswego County probation office.

Assistant District Attorney Mark Moody said Mahoney could be sentenced to one year in jail on each misdemeanor. If the sentences ran consecutively, he would face two years in the Oswego County jail.

There also is a possibility of Patrick Mahoney losing his fishing guide license with the state DEC due to the guilty verdict on the DEC violation of fighting in a fishing area. Moody said that sentence would be handed down by the DEC and not the court.

The jury in Albion town court deliberated for about three hours, but Friday night had all of Patrick Mahoney's testimony read back to them. The read back bean at 6:45 p.m. and was done at 8:08 p.m.

The jury came back with its verdict at 8:20 p.m.

Robert Mahoney, 45, of Boylston, and Patrick Mahoney, 43, of Altmar, were accused of assaulting fisherman William Murray, 63, of Ithaca, as Murray was fishing in the Ellis Cove area of the Salmon River April 8.

Well I posted the link to the charges a twice now and it keeps disapearing but he was found guilty on 3 of the charges and brother Bob was found not guilty. He has 2 years or 16 months on good behavior and dec will decide if he loses his guide license. He is going.

Well I posted the link to the charges a twice now and it keeps disapearing but he was found guilty on 3 of the charges and brother Bob was found not guilty. He has 2 years or 16 months on good behavior and dec will decide if he loses his guide license. He is going.

The entire news article as-well as the link were posted on the previous page of this tread last night.

• 4 months later...

Oswego, NY -- Patrick A. Mahoney, who was found guilty and sentenced for assaulting a fisherman in the Salmon River last year, will not begin serving his sentence this weekend pending an appeal of his conviction.

Mahoney’s lawyer, David Antonucci, of Watertown, said he has filed an appeal arguing the judge did not allow certain evidence during the trial and Mahoney’s action of yelling and waving his arms at victim William Murray at the river April 8, 2010 did not constitute violence.

He also filed for a stay of the sentence pending the appeal, which was granted Thursday in Oswego County Court.

Mahoney, 43, of state Route 13, Altmar, was found guilty March 4 by an Albion town court jury of reckless assault and petit larceny, both misdemeanors, and with a violation of the state Department of Environmental Conservation law for fighting in a fishing area.

Albion Justice Howard Allen Jr. sentenced him to 10 weekends in the Oswego County jail to begin Friday. He also was sentenced to a one-year conditional discharge, with the conditions being paying restitution to the victim, performing 100 hours of community service and taking an anger management course.

A three-year order of protection also was

Legal system in full swing, turn wrong into not-so-wrong, and vise-versa.

If I get into trouble sometime, I hope I have that Judge, and btw, what was his lawyer's phone number?? :@