salmon river thug attack!!!!!! Update

Well here is the eyewitness account of what happened the day of the assault. I was fishing 200 yards downstream from the older gentleman who got attacked, but did not know at the time it was my friend Bill. I started to hear yelling , when I seen a guy punch another guy , honestly seen this before so did not think much of it. The yelling and punching continued and I seen 2 more guys jump in throwing punches. Then I was concerned for the guy and started yelling to them that was enough maybe 8 more fisherman were saying the same thing. But it did not stop and they started to hold him under water while 2 other people were kicking and punching him. I then realized this man's life was in serious danger, so I then started to walk up to assist the man, yelling across the river walking up to where they were, I realized that I knew it was Bill getting the beating. Then I realized who was doing the kicking and punching bill we will call them the (baloney boy's they are guides on the salmon river) along with 5 other guys who I'm not positive who they are. One of the men with a thinner build and no shirt had a tattoo's on his chest. Once I got to a spot where I could cross the "tough guys" went running through the woods. These men are cowards. This display was pathetic to say the least. Bill is 63 and was begging them to stop ,and thought they were going to kill him what kind of a men could do such a thing. I'm counting on justice to prevail and these "tough guys" get punished to the fullest extent of the law. I also believe there guide license's should be taken away forever . Bill is a tough man and I wish him a speedy recovery so he can get back to what he loves fishing. :no::no:;(

====================

EDIT: Please use PM's to disclose specific names.

This was not a fight ( it was an assault on one man by a group of thugs ) Bill Murry the 62 year old victum was beatin , kicked , choked & held underwater to the point he thought he was going to die. So lets get this clear , it was not a fight , it was a brutal attack & these thugs should of been arrested by now. It seems to me that the D.E.C. or State Police do not have there facts straight, Bill was released from Upstate Medical University & re-admitted to the V.A. hospital. As of today , 4 days have passed & still no arrests have been made. The thugs were not fishing, only Bill Murray was. They were hiding in the woods waiting for there pre-meditated attack. I keep hearing about an alleged tire slashing. Well you don't have to be a brain surgeon to figure this out. First of all I know Bill Murray for years , he's an honest, caring, loving husband, father & grandfather. He's a War veteran who loves his country & his fellow man, loves to fish & enjoys the outdoors & life more than anyone I know. Most of all he does'nt have any time for the Mahoney brothers & the rest of the thugs before or now, he just wants to be left alone. They threatened his life & threatened to burn down his house if he told the police who they were, well they know who they are & we're waiting for the police to do there job. Why are the Police so apprehensive, ( in the case of a fishing violation the fisherman is taken directly to the JUDGE ) Tell me what's wrong with this picture. Please contact your Senator , Congressman or any local representative of Government that may help Bill receive JUSTICE.

PLEASE ANYONE AND EVERYONE WHO WOULD LIKE TO SEE JUSTICE PREVAIL. PLEASE CALL 315 426 7431 D.E.C. personnel - Capt. Woody Errickson , Lt. Mazuka & Investigator Williams

A 62 YEAR OLD VIETNAM VET NEEDS YOUR HELP. THE RIVER WON'T BE SAFE AGAIN TIL THESE THUGS ARE OFF THE RIVER AND BEHIND BARS.

cowards beat on a old fella they dont confront anyone who will beat them down sendt hem down to cayuga lake love to have a meeting with them give them a good ass beatin makes me sick the way the law works a vet enjoying himself they ned poetic justice it sounds to me

hope they find these pieces of s**t and punish them bad.they should not only lose their guide license but be banned from any kind of fishing in nys....PERIOD!!!!!!most guides for the most part are kind and courteous,politely asking if they can slip by you if you are on the bank.i would always pull my line and allow them to pass when they asked nicely.these guys give the good ones a bad name.

i have also witnessed some guide boats that would have alot of guys in the boat yelling to people they would know on shore and dropping the F-bomb like it was the only word in their vocabulary.many kids/sons are on the banks and in boats and dont need to be subjected to it.its just not necessary.

mike m

the DEC needs to do MORE patrolling on foot and perhaps even by boat!!! :(

Phone calls & messages have been coming in from Pa, NJ, Conn,Vt,NY concerning Bills condition & what is being done to those responsible for this crime. Bill is not only my friend he is one of the nicest, friendliest & responsible individual you'll ever meet. All he ever wanted to do was go fishing, enjoy the outdoors & associate with other fishermen. Then he ran into a group irresponsible thugs that have no respect for the well being of others. In this case they beat a man who was preparing to go into the hospital in one week for a brain anuerysm operation, instead he's in the hospital being treated for senseless injuries. I want to thank everyone for the kind messages & thoughts for Bill, they are well received. Everyone that fishes the Salmon River knows there are Guides who are kind , courteous & respect the rights of others. Yet there are a few that make it bad for the good guides who do not deserve the priviledge of wearing a Guide pin. If there is a Guide Association they should look into revoking this priviledge of anyone who commits such a criminal offense, in this case there is more than one or the state should be notified of such a criminal wrong doing. Again thank you for Bill.

Its a shame that we as americans even have to worry about things like this. Let alone a veteran. Our police force needs to focus on violent crimes. Leave the life jackets and seatbelts to those with common sense.

All fisherman need to stick together and protect our own. Any fisherman could have stepped in. I would for the next guy and would expect the same in return. As citizens we need to police ourselves as big brother is not always (never) there when you need them.

Someone should pay these guys a visit. :devil::@:devil:

Get well soon Bill. Hope to see you on the river this fall.

Sorry to hear the whole thing happened and for outcome as of YET.... their are a few on this site who have a litte "inside" pull ,and having met a few I am shure they will find a coffee break or two that they can dedicate to getting to the bottom of this...Usually thier is 2 sides of a story and im shure there ant no group of men gonna gang up on anyone to a near death situation for "fishing in their spot " It had to be a clear mixup for the "victim" for someone who musta done something that deserved a good spankin ....but not a near death beating or not....so ill be waiting "FOR THE REST OF THE STORY" as Paul Harvey would say....before i pass judgement....As for me I always say you can mess with me quite a bit and i can turn the cheek(the tanned one) Mess with my family and it might only happen once...Good thing me and bill ant related if he is innocent....P.S. over 35 years of fishing the salmon river i ant never seen one fist fly but a few "Unpeasant" word exchanges are the norm to those who dont understand driftboats are a way of living for some people..

Unreal!!!! F'N cowards!!! Tell you what I don't know you or bill but if justice doesn't prevail and you know where to find these characters let me know. There are ways to get back at them without going to jail, trust me!!!! What a bunch of loosers!!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Sorry to hear the whole thing happened and for outcome as of YET.... their are a few on this site who have a litte "inside" pull ,and having met a few I am shure they will find a coffee break or two that they can dedicate to getting to the bottom of this...Usually thier is 2 sides of a story and im shure there ant no group of men gonna gang up on anyone to a near death situation for "fishing in their spot " It had to be a clear mixup for the "victim" for someone who musta done something that deserved a good spankin ....but not a near death beating or not....so ill be waiting "FOR THE REST OF THE STORY" as Paul Harvey would say....before i pass judgement....As for me I always say you can mess with me quite a bit and i can turn the cheek(the tanned one) Mess with my family and it might only happen once...Good thing me and bill ant related if he is innocent....P.S. over 35 years of fishing the salmon river i ant never seen one fist fly but a few "Unpeasant" word exchanges are the norm to those who dont understand driftboats are a way of living for some people..

This is a true tradjedy. The DEC and the state police were both called in, but for some reason the DEC took the case. As of yesterday it has been 7 full days since the assault on this old vet. I have never heard of an investigation with multiple witnesses to a violent crime, that the accused wasn't locked up that day or soon after. It was not over fishing, just a misunderstanding where these guys violently took the law into there own hands. No one even knows what is going on with this case. He really needs your help badly, please make a few calls.. Thanks for your time

Fishing is supposed to be a way to get away and relax. Too many people start fights over a recreational activity. I don't start fights about kicking people out of my hole, I take it in stride and fish a lesser hole. The day I start getting stressed out by fishing I wil sell all my rods. :@ There are cheaper ways to get pi$$ed off. One major reason I don't fish the main river. :(

It is a shame that some of the locals haven't connected the dots that their economy stems from tourist fisherman (and snow mobilers). The town has a reputation for problems... slashed tires when guides from out of town show up; fighting with fisherman and then the time that Mickey blew away Rich in the street with a shot gun (outside his store the Yankee Fly Shop).

What a shame, the Salmon River is the only NY Ontario trib that has year-round Blue Ribbon fishing potential. If the authorities won't clean up the town then maybe the fisherman need to hire the A-Team??!!

this just smells fishy..as i know either parties involved it seems odd that 2 guys would break out a can of whoop ass just for giggles... especially if they are guides..granted i paintin with a broad brush but normally guides are fairly laid back,and to do this and then run??????..if what bambam says is true these fellows would be all ready arrested as they are a known entity....soooooo somethin is missin....hope mr bill recovers well and enjoys fishin again..and for the perps....if anything they should be charged with assualt and made to do 1000 hrs community service on the river durin the months of sept oct,nov.march and april.. pickin up trash[mabey they will find some in the mirror]..just my 2 cents...and so long 4 now;john

this is very true and from what has been told by the county D.A.'S office that due to the seriousness of the crime they are crossing all there T'S and dotting I's

{qoute from another site} A real quick synopsis... the victim and attackers (yes, they are licensed guides) have some sort of history. What it is, I don't know. There was an accusation of tires being slashed at some point. I wasn't there for the attack, but am going with the original poster's statement as being accurate since he was just downstream of the attack. Apparently they jumped the victim from the woods after a couple other people nearby him left. From what I gather the salmon river has a history of fights breaking out... so it's not really for me... but this attack does seem like it goes above and beyond the usual fist fight. 3 on 1, holding the guy underwater and 3 days in the hospital seems closer to attempted manslaughter.

I'm still not too concerned with justice being served, of course if everyting I've read is 100% accurate I would've preferred jail with no bond already issued. I think as others said it's a matter of dotting I's and crossing T's. If you rush to justice, a high profile attorney will pick apart statements and the investigation and it all goes out the window. The lack of media coverage is kinda odd though. Ironically I heard from a buddy for the first time in a couple years just a few days ago. He mentioned next week going out with the them on a trip. I told him he may want to rebook seeing they may be in jail by then. He had no clue...

THE EYEWITNESS Well here is the eyewitness account of what happened the day of the assault. I was fishing 200 yards downstream from the older gentleman who got attacked, but did not know at the time it was my friend Bill. I started to hear yelling , when I seen a guy punch another guy , honestly seen this before so did not think much of it. The yelling and punching continued and I seen 2 more guys jump in throwing punches. Then I was concerned for the guy and started yelling to them that was enough maybe 8 more fisherman were saying the same thing. But it did not stop and they started to hold him under water while 2 other people were kicking and punching him. I then realised this man's life was in serious danger, so I then started to walk up to assist the man, yelling across the river walking up to where they were, I realized that I knew it was Bill getting the beating. Then I realized who was doing the kicking and punching it was Pat Mahoney, Bob Mahoney Jr. and 3 other guys who I'm not positive who they are. One of the men with a thinner build and no shirt had a tattoo's on his chest. Once I got to a spot where I could cross the "tough guys" went running through the woods. These men are cowards. This display was pathetic to say the least. Bill is 63 and was begging them to stop , what kind of a man could do such a thing. I'm counting on justice to prevail and these "tough guys" get punished to the fullest extent of the law. I also believe there guide license's should be taken away forever . Bill is a tough man and I wish him a speedy recovery so he can get back to what he loves fishing.

THE FRIEND OF THE VICTUM Bill was beatin very badly & his injuries will take sometime to heal. He's experiencing severe headaches, blurriness, sore ribs, sore back, broken nose & bruises from his head to his knees. They even kicked him in the b--ls. They'll be in the news & newspaper before long. Lets see if they can run from the State Police. They'll be selling each other down the drain when they hear what the charges are.

This was not a fight ( it was an assault on one man by a group of thugs ) Bill Murry the 62 year old victum was beatin , kicked , choked & held underwater to the point he thought he was going to die. So lets get this clear , it was not a fight , it was a brutal attack & these thugs should of been arrested by now. It seems to me that the D.E.C. or State Police do not have there facts straight, Bill was released from Upstate Medical University & re-admitted to the V.A. hospital. As of today , 12 days have passed & still no arrests have been made. The thugs were not fishing, only Bill Murray was. They were hiding in the woods waiting for there pre-meditated attack. I keep hearing about an alleged tire slashing. Well you don't have to be a brain surgeon to figure this out. First of all I know Bill Murray for years , he's an honest, caring, loving husband, father & grandfather. He's a War veteran who loves his country & his fellow man, loves to fish & enjoys the outdoors & life more than anyone I know. Most of all he does'nt have any time for the Mahoney brothers & the rest of the thugs before or now, he just wants to be left alone. They threatened his life & threatened to burn down his house if he told the police who they were, well they know who they are & we're waiting for the police to do there job. Why are the Police so apprehensive, ( in the case of a fishing violation the fisherman is taken directly to the JUDGE ) Tell me what's wrong with this picture. Please contact your Senator , Congressman or any local representative of Government that may help Bill receive JUSTICE.

The DA's office is probably going to present the case to the Grand Jury. When the Grand Jury hears the evidence, they rule on weather there is enough evidence to support the crime that is initially going to be charged. After the Grand Jury "Rises"(Makes a decision) an indictment warrant is filed and the suspects are picked up by local authorities. Bail can be set when the suspects are properly arraigned. I believe that there is quite a time frame between when a Grand jury hears a case and when they "Rise". I'm not 100% sure, but it may be 45 days.

It is my understanding that prosecutors utilize this system in order to have the correct charges for certain acts. Usually felony cases. I think this is to prevent over and under charging crimes. Plea bargains are hard to come by after an defendant is indicted.

This case may not even be in the courts yet, it still may be under investigation. With a case of this magnitude I can imagine that the Investigators are,as previously mentioned, Dotting the eyes and crossing the Ts.

The main focus should be on the victim, his recovery , and his speedy return to the streams.

I am no expert on court proceedings, just throwing out a "This could possibly be happening".......Tight lines