Evinrude E-Tec?

Hey everyone,

Just wondering what your thoughts on the Evinrude E-Tec outboard engines are. My old Johnson 140 is past due and there is a relatively cheap E-Tec for sale at one of my local marine suppliers. The problem is, the factory warranty is non existent because the engine was a showroom model. The model is fully working, but it's an engine that is towed around from boat show to boat show to showcase the Evinrude E-Tecs. I'm not sure if I want to take a chance on a brand new engine that has no warranty on it. I'd like a bigger engine but I can't justify paying more for a brand new four stroke (or even two stroke) than what I payed for the boat.

Does anyone here run these engines? Any major issues or problems you've run into?

I like the idea of HO and EFI.

Thanks,

Austin.

Just re-powered last year and put a 09' 150 HO on my Lund. These motors are amazing and run so smooth. Idle at 500 rpm and full throttle screams at 5500. HO put out 175 hp at shaft and hole shot is very impressive. I wouldn't hesitate about the Etec one bite.

Tight Lines,

Steve

I have an 06 150 E-Tec and everyone I have on the boat thinks its a four stroke. It has plenty of power and Lund is right, its smooth. I troll all day and barely get any buildup. I don't know what the newer four strokes are like to winterize but the Etec is as simple as you can get and will be done in five minutes. Honestly, I think the HO would be too much power for my boat. I'm pushing 48 mph on GPS on a heavier 20ft. fiberglass.

Something is very wrong. The fact that it is a "showroom" model should have nothing to do with it being unwarrantable. Any dealer in his right mind would expect to be backed up by the manufacturer , in this competitive market, for helping to promote and sell their product. Do you really want a motor they won't stand behind because it was "trailered around"?

Call the manufacturer with the serial number, and tell them you want it as a condition of sale if you really want that one.

Otherwise, consider Honda. Even a lightly used one will have a transferrable warranty that you won't need to use anyway. I watch these outboards get the daylights beat out of them all winter on the Niagara.

I have an etec (60hp) on my boat, and run it at very low ideal setting decoys and it never miss a beat, its real powerful uses very little oil, really you can not tell hardly its not a 4 stroke. It has wicked power and I remember run mine in the most miserable conditions there are and very cold, it starts at 20 deg all the time in an instance. All around best motor I ever have had and I have had a few. I can say or find one bad thing to say other than the price is high but its worth it, I would buy another.

Don't buy a 115!!!! They are extremely problematic, go bigger or smaller and you should be good.

Vince is right. Even floor models or demo's should have full warranty's. Even demo boats that dealers run on the water and get fished out of that have never been titled (like pro staff boats) have full warranty's when sold to general public. His advice is right on give them a call.

In 2008 I purchased a 2005 Evinrude 225 hp ETEC that was new in a showroom. Had full new warranty from BRP. I've been real impressed with the ETEC -quiet, economical, good performance. If you're looking at an engine with no warranty there is a reason beyond sitting in a showroom for a few years. As the others have said get more information or move on. Good luck!

Don't buy a 115!!!! They are extremely problematic, go bigger or smaller and you should be good.

Vince is right. Even floor models or demo's should have full warranty's. Even demo boats that dealers run on the water and get fished out of that have never been titled (like pro staff boats) have full warranty's when sold to general public. His advice is right on give them a call.

Says who? What problems?

That video is not rigged? Where you there? Did you help them make it? Okay...once again believe what you see online. Read some head to head tests Mercury against E-tech and others below. Then come back and tell me they make the best motor.

Here are some independant test by bass and walleye boats magazine...Mercury crushed E-Tech in many catagories in both the big blocks (225's) and small blocks (50hp) E-Tech only edged them out in like 1 test on the big blocks on the small motors Etech was almost at the bottom in all test. Go check it out for yourself!

Believe whatever BS video's you want to watch online.. NON BIASED info is what I believe in.

http://www.bwbmag.com/images/elements/1 ... otout_.pdf

http://www.bwbmag.com/output.cfm?id=105 ... tionid=309

http://www.bwbmag.com/output.cfm?id=105 ... tionid=309

In regard to the 115. Who? my buddy who has a lawyer and is sueing Bombarier. Go to Walleye Central and search 115 Etech, 3 guys from the walleye community have extreme problems that can't get fixed.

I'll end this post saying I know a good handful of guys who run Rude's and are happy with them and have had no issues as well, the 115 is not a good motor something in it's design is wrong.

I myself had a 03 250 DI Evinrude on my last boat, sold it, since the guy who purchased it blew a powerhead.

I know have a 08 250 Mercury Pro XS and only had 1 coil go bad in exactly 200 hours of service as of wednesday night.

• 4 months later...